Advanced Search

Need a little opionated advice!!! Please

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Need a little opionated advice!!! Please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JP
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Ok folks,

I have spent the last 3 weeks reading this forum and deciding on which WE to purchase. Yes I had to go through the pain of researching other systems to figure out what I thought was going to be the best system for my uses and requirements and ended up its the WE system. I wont say that money is no object but I will say I like to buy the right tool set to do the job and I like to have professional grade tools that preform. So I have chosen the Pro Pak III.

The opinion and question part is as follows:

1. What other Stones, Laps or Accessories would you add and why?
    2. Is the PP III more versatile  than Gen 3 or Commercial series.
    3. I don’t care about stands and storage, I will custom make that aspect after using and determining what works best in my situation.

My base requirements:

1. Independent Adjustable angle to 10 DPS
    2. Mirror finish down the road
    3. Be able to handle small pocket knife blades all the way to large 15 inch custom blades
    4. Sharpen wife’s badly abused blades, and my high end blades (I have some nice high end knives that I use in smoking and cooking), we have a his and hers set of blades

I look forward to the responses and don’t worry about thin skin, I want the info and your knowledge over mine. I am new to this system and this group is probably one of the knowledgeable I have found not only on WE but sharpening in general. Yes I have gone down the rabbit hole.

JP

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and sharpening community JP.

The WE130 included with the PPIII is the most versatile model, IMO.  I would consider the WE130 more versatile then the Gen 3 Pro or the Commercial Series.  If you were intending to sharpen mainly convex profiled knife edges and not “V” profiled knife edges, the Gen 3 Pro excels in that area.

The PPIII is a fairly complete and thorough starting point.  I would suggest, to begin with, that you make use of every thing the PPIII includes while you get through the sharpening stone “break-in” period and the W.E. operator’s learning curve, as you practice W.E. sharpening methods and develop your own sharpening technique.  We all seek to achieve the same precise results.  Wicked Sharp knife edges, often with mirror polished bevels.  How we each do this may be individualized.  It’s up to you to put it together in a technique that works for you and that you enjoy using.

I would recommend you accessorize with a lighted magnified visual aid like a USB Microscope, to allow you to see up close the results of your sharpening efforts.  That and a sharpie marker for me are essential tools.  The one W.E. accessory you’ll probably need sooner then later are the 12″ Guide Rods.  They are essential when using the included Low Angle Adapter.

After you get the feel for the system there are some “Custom Accessories” that many of us find indispensable.

After you get going then the forum and I, will help you spend your money on more accessories.  We love to shop vicariously through new W.E. users!  Many of us own and use every optional stone, strop and lapping film accessory offered by Wicked Edge…and even more!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

Welcome to the forum and your new addiction. In addition to Marc’s suggestions, I’d add the Tormek small knife holder

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.