Advanced Search

My Grit Progression choices , Opinions / Advice

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives My Grit Progression choices , Opinions / Advice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Mojo
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

I have been sharpening knives since a young age both freehand and with systems. Recently took the plunge and purchased the WE130.

Before purchase I did quite a bit of research. Read many forums including here. Watched videos etc.

Though I plan on adding a few others over time and realize there are 100 ways to skin a cat. This is the starting point I chose and just wanted to get some opinions / advice from the more experienced WE community.

Diamond Stones = 100/200 , 400/600 , 800/1000

Ceramics = 1200/1600 , 1.4/.6 Micron

Balsa Strops = .5/3.5 Diamond Paste

Diamond Lapping Film = 9 Micron and 6 Micron

Leather Strops = 1/.5  Micron Diamond paste

Accesories = Advanced alignment guide, angle cube, all necessary cleaning / storage .

I am planning on maintaining higher end knives and this is I am sure as many of you something I have always really enjoyed.

That being said my perfectionism and OCD will I am sure not let me stop here. Mainly just looking for Advice / Opinions on Grit progression.

Thanks

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and Community Mr. Mojo.

Knowing what I do know after using the systems for several years…My personal preference would be to forgo the all the ceramics to start.  You can add them later if you choose. In place of them I’d add the 1500 grit/ glass blank platen. I’d utilize the glass side for the 9µ diamond lapping film.  You can then use the 6µ/3µ diamond lapping pair on a the glass blank you have already planned to buy.

After you gain some experience, further down the road when you want to add a different medium of abrasives to your sharpening arsenal you can always add the ceramics.  They do have their place and do work quite well as a finishing stone after the diamond regimen.

I don’t enjoy using the Balsa Wood Strops  If find them less forgiving then the basic cow leather and more easily gouged, chipped or pealed.  I would stick with the leather to start. 0.5µ/3.5µ for me is too far a spread in grit for polishing strops.  I prefer a 4µ/2µ or 3.5µ/2µ pair, and also the 1.0µ/0.5µ strop on leather.

I could also suggest some optical magnified inspection device such as a lighted loupe or a hand microscope or USB microscope and consider something for hand safety such as gloves or safety shields (both offered here at WE).

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.