Advanced Search

Music setlist for sharpening?

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Music setlist for sharpening?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Drew
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 72

Off topic seems like an appropriate place for this. I’m finding a deep joy in grinding arcs, and I lose time, especially after dark. The only way I can guess how long I’ve been at it is by estimating how many songs have played.

Which brings me to the question: for those of you who bliss out to edges with music, what style and favorites do you play?

I’m really getting into this Southern hillmusic. Don’t know what it is exactly, some mix of old country, bluegrass, portch fiddle, and rock… Current example is Ghosts of Mississippi by The SteelDrivers, and Nose on the Grindstone and Hard Times (both on Vinyl Sessions) by Tyler Childers.

Real “Winter’s Bone” stuff, but I’m hooked. Makes my heart ache.

How about you? Knowing your music’ll give a new view into your personalities.

Sincerely,

Drew

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m well into geezerhood, so my playlists are pretty old stuff.  I’ll sharpen to Nancy Wilson, Dave Brubeck, Linda Ronstadt and pop stuff from the ’70s & ’80s.  I like anything by Paul Simon.  Almost anything by Billy Joel, Elton John, James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt or Roy Orbison.

I’ll also listen to new age, big band, country and classical.  I love Latin music – favorite album all-time is Bud & Travis’s Latin album (1965).  Buddy Holly and Patsy Cline were hugely gifted singers.

Sorry, but I never could stand hard rock.  Hard rock is just noise.  And bad noise at that.  My musical training at an early age taught me that music is suppose to please your ears.  Even animals respond to it.  Rock makes my face hurt.

How’d I do?  Any new views?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I’ll listen to pretty much any type of music I’m into at the moment (unless I choose to put on a documentary or podcast instead). Below are a few tracks from bands that I’m into right now. I suspect that my musical tastes lie squarely in the range of what Mr. tcmeyer would call noise.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Drew
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 72

tc, I’ll admit there were some in your list that I hadn’t heard, but I just listened to Dave Brubeck’s Take Five, and, man, I can only imagine what flavor that would add to my edges. I’m going to try it. I’ve got 3 different sizes of Opinels that need that drum line/piano mix.

Dig on the “older” stuff. (Old being relative. Walked into a guitar repair shop, and they were playing recordings of Syrian music, the musicians long dead.)

I’m going to break perusing your examples over two nights. I’m especially interested in the Latin Album.

Organic, holy God, I was nice and relaxed with Bonnie Raitt, then played your suggestions. My heart rate went up 30 bpm, and I’m all pumped up to do this stock removal. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a high-energy band fuze with an orchestra.

I can imagine you, face staring intensely at your blade, eyes wide and wild, paddles going in a blur, and you matching the high, sustained vocals… then using the sharpie.

There are musical tastes that surprise me for both of you. Delightful.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Drew:  If you enjoyed Take Five, which is probably the best selling, most famous jazz instrumental single of all time, take a listen to Unsquare Dance, which is quite a bit faster, at 7/4 time, which is apparently very difficult.  At the end, you can hear the drummer Joe Morello, chuckling on having finished his finale riff successfully.  I can imagine it fitting beautifully as pace music for a sharpening session.  Many of their pieces were written for unusual and/or difficult rhythms.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Blue Rondo a la Turk is another great Brubeck tune.

-Clay

cjb80202
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 33

My 12 year old daughter outed me in front of friends recently, that I listen to AC/DC while I sharpen. I guess that’s true, even though it wasn’t really a conscious choice. Back in Black is the best. I’m sure this goes against the grain with others’ musical choices, that may be more zen like…

tcmeyer
    Participant

Blue Rondo is another good one for sure.  There’s a video on its Wikipedia page which shows the rhythm structure.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  Really cool.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

It was produced and recorded long before we had the ability and technology to analyze it like that done at Wiki, or the ability to digitally recreate it!  Great piece!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.