Advanced Search

Moving the site to a new platform

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Moving the site to a new platform

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey guys,

We’re about to move the site to a new platform, away from Joomla! and Kunena Forum. I could use some help with identifying anything that needs fixing/changing with the new forum. Here is the link: http://test.wickededgeusa.com/forum/single-forum/1-main-forum/%5B/url%5D. I’ve already identified the following things below but hope that you guys will find others that would improve your experience:

• The forum:
    o I would like it to look like our current forum
    o I would like the default page to be “Recent Topics” like it is on the current forum
    o The users should be able to select how many posts per page they can see
    o “Sticky” topics need to remain at the top
    o Private Messages should show on any of the forum pages
    o No images from the forum are showing. This is very bad and will need to be fixed before going live.

A couple of things to note: 1) This new forum was created with an old database so recent posts aren’t included. When we go live, we’ll pull the most current database and start with that. 2) The images will be uploaded when we go live.

Thanks in advance for any help. Whatever you guys come up with, I’ll send it along to the programmers so we can get it included.

-Clay

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Our actual names instead of our nom de guerre are appearing.

The knife data base is quite a bit different.

The header still lacks the “hot chicks” of a garage wall calendar 🙂

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

so far,

– I agree that the recents defenitely needs to work
    – names/usernames need to be fixed
    – will the notifications of pm’s work?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Great news, Clay! Kunena and me, we never became real friends.

I’m currently on holiday with a really bad Internet connection, but when I’m back, I’ll also participate in the testing!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

I’d like to see a sorting option in the forums. Sorting any or all the headers, ascending/descending value from A-Z, Z-A, or numerical, ect. I didn’t see a search option for the forums. The search bar at the top only worked (for me) for the rest of the site, not the forums. Hope this helps!

Mikedoh

There is a search option in the tabs row (first tab says “index” 2nd is “recent topics” last is ” search”).

Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

There is a search option in the tabs row (first tab says “index” 2nd is “recent topics” last is ” search”).

I see that on the current forum site, but I don’t on the test site.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

These are great guys, thank you and keep ’em coming. I’m passing them along to the web team.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

The only problem with the current search feature is that it doesn’t work so well… for example, if I try to search titles only for ‘1000x’ then it will show every post that has the title ‘1000x’ instead of the one THREAD that has that in the title, and then other different threads that have it in it’s title.

Also, Clay, I would really appreciate the new forum being compatible with tapatalk and be able to see and reply to pm’s on tapatalk (which currently is not allowed).

thanks for getting our feedback!

Mikedoh

A “button” at the bottom of any thread page to get back to recent topics (our current one says “forum”).

Mark76
    Participant

Clay,

It’s looking quite good already!

All of the comments made seem pretty valid to me:
    – nicknames need to be shown instead of real names
    – recent topics page needs to show info like on current site
    – there’s no search tab
    – it’d be nice if Search produced threads rather than individual pages
    – sort options for sorting posts (which are not on the current forum either) would be nice

I’ve got a few more:
    – the missing info on the recent topic page (e.g., “topic started date”is missing) is also not present on the index page of every subforum
    – next to the “search tab”, the tabs “new topic”, “my topics”, etc. are missing (maybe because I’m not logged in; although it’d be weird if that is the reason, because there is a “profile” tab)
    – line spaces (empty lines between paragraphs) are not shown in posts
    – it’d be nice if the Search function could also deal with phrases or AND-clauses. (If you type in on the current forum, e.g. “stropping paste”, it searches on “stropping” OR “paste”, which usually results in far too many unwanted search results)
    – thank you’s and karma’s are not shown with posts
    – signatures are not shown with posts

I cannot login yet to the new forum. If the web team could add the current account database, we could perhaps do some more testing.

Success with the new site! It seems to be based on WordPress, which I like a lot better than Joomla 🙂 .

Mark76
    Participant

Clay, any possibity for us to test the site as registered users? That would give us a lot more testing opportunities.

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

I keep coming across links in the old forum style that no longer work:
    [code]http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&…[/code]
    Can a redirect be implemented to send these to the current forum threads?

Mark76
    Participant

This was also asked in another thread. Clay answered that it appears to be rather difficult technically. Let’s hope the situation resolves itself when the forum is upgraded.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

Has anybody else noticed that the links in the Wicked Edge Wiki site don’t work anymore? Maybe related to the new platform? Or is it just me? (I’m running Chrome for my browser)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.