Advanced Search

Mounting full flat ground blades

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Sharkey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 40

Does anybody else mount there full flat ground blades like this? I found it is kind of hard to do but is a lot more solid than using foam tape. Maybe I am NOT doing it correctly.

If anybody has any pointers on mounting full flat ground blades please share. I have found this method to be successful but difficult because I generally have to use needle nose vise-grips to pinch the very end of the clamp against the blade. It is tricky to do with only one set of hands.

Thank you

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Get yourself a piece of chamois. Cut several small rectangular shapes for different knives. When you go to lock your knife down add the chamois like a little cradle. Try and keep the chamois from hanging over the side of the vise as it will catch. I’m talking 1/2″x 1″ and smaller.
    I have been doing it this way for a long while now and I never have a problem. It is just SOP for me now. Every knife gets clamped down that way.
    Have fun and good luck! 🙂

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

I will give that a whirl. Thanks

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

I got me a chamois and tried it. Excellent

SiR
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Hi,
    may I ask for a picture of the blade in the clamp with the chamois holding it? I have a lot of FFG and it is difficult for me to clam those with foam tape. Thank you!

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

I will hook you up with some pictures right away. As soon as I figure out how to upload them.

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

I posted those pictures and another picture of a formula I use on the basic sharpening techniques. I just started a new thread. I hope that will work for you.

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

Hi,
    may I ask for a picture of the blade in the clamp with the chamois holding it? I have a lot of FFG and it is difficult for me to clam those with foam tape. Thank you!

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

I think I figured out how to reply. I hope these pictures help you out. You just need to get a caliper of some sort for the measurements. It is not a piano so you don’t have to measure exactly. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask. I am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think I am improving with help from others, especially others on this forum. Thanks everybody.

SiR
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Thank you very much for your reply! Basically you make the blade lean to one side and adjust the angle of the opposite side to compensate for the displacement. Do you think it would work for wider blades too, say .230 inches blades?
    I always try to put material in the gap between the blade and the clamp on each side to prevent leaning, i have to try this method!
    Does it look like the bevels are even?

Stephen Sharkey
    Participant

I don’t see why it wouldn’t. The ticket FFG I’ve done is the spyderco superleaf. I think it’s 4mm. I had to get a selection of different length 1/4″ bolts for the thicker stock but that’s nothing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.