Advanced Search

Mounting Edge Pro stones on Wicked Edge paddles

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Mounting Edge Pro stones on Wicked Edge paddles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Haffner
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

I want to mount Edge Pro stones on some kind of empty Wicked Edge paddles.

I know it is possible to glue the stones to empty paddles, but I’m looking for a way to mount the stones, so they can be easily taken of the stones again.

Do you have any experiences of suggestions regarding this?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Haffner,  we have had a similar discussion on this forum, in the past, for mounting Wicked Edge stones on Wicked Edge paddles so they could be removable/interchangeable.   There’s been ideas thrown around but nothing anyone has ever done and shared about, yet.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I did a crude mock up with rare earth magnets-that fit in the holes in the blank paddle I bought, and a thin strip of stainless steel glued to an edge pro stone platen. Seemed to hold well enough. Didn’t use it much. Have some ep choseras I was planning on using.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Haffner
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

Haffner, we have had a similar discussion on this forum, in the past, for mounting Wicked Edge stones on Wicked Edge paddles so they could be removable/interchangeable.

I have been unable to find this disccussion.

Can anyone help me locating it?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I remember reading similar questions in the past.  I don’t remember anyone ever sharing they did it with their experiences.

I will say this ,we paid a good couple $$s for a WEPS  that means Wicked Edge “Precision Sharpener”.  The Wicked Edge diamond stones are really high quality, precise, efficient and long lasting.   

I have made modifications to some of my WEPS’s and I’m always willing to try new innovations.  I realize everything or anything I do that includes changing an aspect of the WEPS is another area to introduce imprecision and errors.

I don’t see why the EP stones wouldn’t work.  They are only slightly larger.  The challenge is to find a way to mount them to realize the same precision the WEPS now affords you.  To try to mount the EP Stones in a removable and interchangeable fashion, you are entering an area Clay has been working on for a while and has yet to add this innovation to his product line.  It’s a challenge to have the repeated stability and tight tolerances and to maintain precision with removal/interchangeable stone mediums.  To just glue the EP stones on W.E. paddle blanks seems like an easy enough process.  It’s certainly  an economic avenue to create a wider variety in your stone/medium collection.  That in itself seems like it may be worth the experiment.  Just realize the results are on you.  You can’t look for answers from Wicked Edge why it doesn’t work as advertised.

I own and use aftermarket stones assembled by a Wicked Dealer with Shapton Whetstones.  They work great for me and I enjoy using them and the different sharpening qualities they bring.  There are also other aftermarket choices available in the marketplace that many users employ regularly.

Why not have at it and let us know what you experience.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.