Advanced Search

More SEM images from The Science of Sharp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938
    Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Interesting. What a big box of worms

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Oh so that is whats at the bottom of the rabbit hole….another rabbit hole? :blink:

The first question that came up for me was….how would the fine DMT diamond stone compare to say a lapping film equivalent as far as uniformity of the abrasive surfaces, and of course the scratch pattern results under this amazingly high magnification?

So very very cool, thanks Clay for posting!!!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks! This is a truely great blog!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I saw this too! Good stuff. But I think that the DMT plates work completely differently than the Wicked Edge ones, although i may be wrong =)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

But I think that the DMT plates work completely differently than the Wicked Edge ones, although i may be wrong =)

I agree 😆 . I particularly like the sentence

The reader could be forgiven for concluding that these results make no sense…

I’ve decided to stop theorizing about sharpening for at least a week 🙂 .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I’ve decided to stop theorizing about sharpening for at least a week 🙂 .

A bit off topic, but it is relevant to theories people have about sharpening…

Last night a buddy of mine made mentioned he’s been reading that sharpening past 1000 grit is pointless… I’m assuming he read that in his Edge Pro user manual 😉

I sent him the link to this blog, but if anyone has anything else for me please PM me.

Thanks!

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Ohh my… :S

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

What I learned is if you look close enough it all looks like chit. So the trick is to look just far enough away that it is perfect.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

I totally understand how the scratches could be deeper and more prevalent in the finer grit because of the higher force applied on such a smaller area but the fact is you remove more metal with the lower grit faster…So maybe it is like you are shoveling with a snow shovel on dirt vs a pole hole shovel…

What gets me is that I really would think the teeth on the apex would be wider with the low grit and start to get more narrow and more prevalent with the finer grit. wide tooth comb vs fine tooth comb thing… So it would be interesting to see what happens with edge

–ok wait..I wanted to use a word to describe a term..but I do not know which to use Keen ness. vs sharp vs cutabillity.. I gotta be careful with my words..I understand that for a shave you want the apex not real toothy and wavy.

but what happens with the apex at these progressions if a light strop or light refining with a super fine ceramic is done after each? I am gonna have to get involved in his posts. Super great and curious work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.