Advanced Search

Microscopic Camera

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joel Casto
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 12

I hate to admit it, but I’ve reached the age that I have trouble seeing the edges on blades. Even with good light, a handheld magnifier and marking with a Sharpie, it’s not easy to see the edge or even bend around the clamped blade enough to get a good look.

I can’t be the only old guy with this issue and I’m sure some smart person on this forum has solved this problem with technology.

So I’m wondering – has anyone found an inexpensive, handheld camera that can plug into a laptop that enables a close up view of the blade while it’s still mounted in the WE clamp? Something I can run down the blade and get a close up look at the condition of the blade and progress of the sharpening process.

Thanks in advance.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Josh (razoredgknives) says “this may help… i go over how to alternate your grind direction with each consecutive stone to make sure the prior scratches are erased. you also need some type of magnification if possible. I have the Dino-Lite am3011 usb microscope and love it… I tried the veho 400 but it wasn’t near as nice.”

A stand for it might also be useful.

You can find some more info doing a search on: USB microscopes

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

exactly, thanks Mike!

yeah 5string, here is a link on amazon to one. It does a great job!

http://www.amazon.com/Dino-Lite-AM3011-10x~50x-Digital-Microscope/dp/B0065AWWGO

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hey Clay: If you’re listening… I’ve seen a few photos from your microscope and was impressed. Which ‘scope do you have? If not the same one, which do you recommend for handheld use?

Josh: You ‘scope is only 0.3 MP? Can you share a sample photo with us? My Celestron is 5MP and 0.3 seems almost primitive.

How does it jump from 10-50X up to 230X?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Sure Tom! here are some before and after pics I took of a knife way back… I can also get you pics at much higher grit if you want. oh, and it has a dial knob so there is no “jumping” involved… unlike the veho 400 which I found to be very finicky when trying to get it perfecdtly focused. I have noticed that there are basically two different “fields of view” where the knife edge comes into view crisply, and one is around 60x and the other is around 230x.

John Haley
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 32

Talked me into this after I’d been debating for over a month. The 10x loupe is OK, but I want more detail. I should mention that I found that the 3011 is now a discontinued model and the 3111 is the replacement. I ordered this one and an articulating stand from Dino-lite.
    http://www.microscope.com/dino-lite-am3111-0-3mp-digital-microscope-1.html?category=227

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.