Advanced Search

Low Angle Accessory

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Low Angle Accessory

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi all,
    I’m testing the new, much anticipated low angle accessory this week. I’m hoping to get a short video put together showing how it works. Please stay tuned for pics and results. Initial results have been very good. I eked out a sweet 8 degrees on my Takeda at home. I’ll be looking at achievable angles on different knives, workflow and overall design. I’m hoping to get feedback from you all to steer the design toward completion. Since we’re having them machined initially, we can keep the design fairly fluid until we’ve settled on something that people are really happy with. At that point, we’ll make a mold so we can cast it and bring the costs down.
    -Clay

-Clay

David
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 47

Sounds great! Can’t wait to see it in action!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Super! Really looking forward to it, so I can do my Scandi grinds on the WE.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here is a picture with a hunting knife in the clamp:

The blade is 1.125″ wide from spine to edge and the angle is set at 15° on the Base Rod.

-Clay

Barry Soileau
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

Will this help with smaller knives with say 2″ blades? Heard they were harder to sharpen because of tryn to get more of an edge.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Guess this answers my last post!

Looking forward to it and put me in line 🙂

Mark76
    Participant

Looks good, Clay! 6.25… you need some very special steel to hold that edge. How low can you go? 😉

I am really curious to know how stable the knife is in the new attachment.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I may have to stand corrected, but I believe as it stands now at this point in its design and testing, that how low an angle you can get may depend to a certain extent on the width of the blade…that is to say, how high one get get it clamped in the device…the higher the lower the angle.

Leo

Mark76
    Participant

I may have to stand corrected, but I believe as it stands now at this point in its design and testing, that how low an angle you can get may depend to a certain extent on the width of the blade…that is to say, how high one get get it clamped in the device…the higher the lower the angle.

Sure. Meant it as a joke, Leo. I don’t think I’ll ever create an angle below 10*, unless I become a sushi chef, which is rather unlikely…

I do think stability of the knife will be important: clamping power of the attachment, does the attachment bend (slightly?), etc.

zachary lawrence
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

hey clay. got a suggestion. instead of makin a attatchment why dont you just make a new set of jaws to replace the ones on the unit already and just make them out of a strong stainless steel. people with bent vises should just get the upgrade hint hint.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

hey clay. got a suggestion. instead of makin a attatchment why dont you just make a new set of jaws to replace the ones on the unit already and just make them out of a strong stainless steel. people with bent vises should just get the upgrade hint hint.

Hi again Zachary! The aluminum vises are more than adequate for their purpose. The recent problem with the bending vises has to do with a company error by the foundry with heat treatment. For example, I have had my unit for well over a year and have subjected it to the rigours of every kind of sharpening you can imagine and not the slightest bend in those jaws. And at first I broke every rule regarding proper tightening of the screws. :sick: Many hundreds of other units are just as strong, not just mine.
    I am not sure, but I suspect that using SS for the vise or even for the new device would add an added cost and weight to the whole rig and then you would still be open to errors in heat treatment as we saw with this bad batch of aluminum vises.
    I hope this adds some clarity for you. I know having received a wobbly vise after a long wait is no fun but this was an unforeseen glitch that Clay is doing his best to make right.
    Just two more cents worth while you wait for Clay to respond.

Leo

Kennith Chan
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 41

+1 for a a new set of jaws as this could be less finicky? I am happy with the Al vices.

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

Looks cool. Not sure if and when I would need that low of an angle, but it is nice to have the option.

Kent
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

Is there any ETA on this?

“Much anticipated” is right – for a long time

wickededge
    Keymaster

Is there any ETA on this?

“Much anticipated” is right – for a long time

I’m hoping to have it soon. We dialing pricing in now, and hope to have some ready in a couple of weeks.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.