Advanced Search

Lapping films

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Lapping films

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

You’ve got a good attitude towards life, that much is clear. Law enforcement friends should keep you in good supply of blades needing to be sharpened. I expect that there are going to be a fair number of them who would appreciate the superior sharpening that a skilled WE user can provide.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Frustrated inc
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 27

Thanks for the kind words and advice guys. I’ll be sure to reach out if I have anymore questions.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Frustrated…  I’m just curious as to what sort of knives you’d be sharpening for your LE friends?  Are they all personal EDC’s?  Or are they “department issued?”

Either way, they’re gonna be really happy with your services.  On that note, I’ll say thank you for your service.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Frustrated inc
    Participant

As far as I know they would be personal.

John
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 3

I had a full set of Wicked Edge stones, chosera, and leather before a fire destroyed everything. I rebuilt with a WE130 set plus 1500/6, 3/1.5, and 1.0/0.5 diamond lapping. I don’t miss the kangaroo at all, and find the lapping paper to be fast and efficient. I’m writing this after taping my wife’s finger after she used one of our eleven Shun Premier knives. She just doesn’t understand just how sharp knifes sharpened to 0.5𝜇 are.

Frustrated inc
    Participant

I just ordered the 1500/6 stones. I’m thinking I’m going to go with lapping films. I like that I don’t have to worry about flexing on the edge.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I like that I don’t have to worry about flexing on the edge.

Could explain what you mean by this statement?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Frustrated inc
    Participant

I mean leather and kangaroo are soft , so if I don’t move the angle in I may roll the edge. Lapping film is hard so no adjustments required unless I want a micro bevel.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Gottcha….films and strops do two different things.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Frustrated inc
    Participant

I understand they do two different things, one mostly polishes and the other removes a finite layer of metal. With the balsa wood and leather strops I already have I think the lapping films will assist in getting me to the Edge I want more efficiency than a bunch of different leather,balsa strops sprayed with varying micron grit sprays or pastes.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Here’s some photos I took in April of 2014.  The first two are of a Buck 110, before and after sharpening with 3 micron film.  The last two are of a Buck Prince, before and after stropping with a leather strop and 3.5 micron paste.

buck 110 b4 glass film Comp

buck 110 3mic film Comp

It’s been more than four years, but I think that the “before” photo was of an edge sharpened to 1000 grit diamonds.

I’m not sure about the first photo below, but for this purpose, it’s not really important.

buck prince b4 stropping Comp

buck prince 3 5 strop Comp

In this test, I kept the angle the same for the stropping.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by tcmeyer.
    Frustrated inc
    Participant

Those are really cool pictures.

tcmeyer
    Participant

It’s evidence that stropping with a soft substrate- strop (leather in this case) can round over the apex and dull the edge.  Which is why we recommend stropping at an angle lower than that used with the stones – 1.5 to 2 degrees for leather, less for more solid substrates.

Jacob
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 24

Has anyone tried this technique for budget lapping https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=q7VveqPnW98.

I found the films on amazon for around $20. Seems like it would be worth it to try it out before dropping a couple hundred bucks on the whole set of films plus Glass Platens

Jacob
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 24

Another question,  if I buy the 1500 diamond with glass platen, can I buy a bunch of different lapping films and change them out. Are they able to be taken off and put back on multiple times or is it a one time install then it’s ruined?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.