Advanced Search

Lapping Films & Storage Solution

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Lapping Films & Storage Solution

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

So what started as a low cost work around when I started has increasingly become part of standard sharpening progression.  Being a family guy on a tight budget I’m always looking for the easier softer(cheaper) way.  Innovation on a budget is kinda my mantra…

Previously I kept my sandpaper and AlO2 lapping film in sheets, and cut strips to size as I went but I found the process tedious and wasnt happy with possibly contaminates getting in the stack of paper.

Recently on a solo mission to Wally World I found this small Plano tackle box for $6 while lingering in the knife isle.  They had a similar box for $4 each, but the latches where inferior so I splurged. 🙂
    20160318_192700

I could tell just by looking that it would fit lapping film strips perfect(and possibly strops?).  While I was there I got the cheapo paper slicer for $9 as well.  Then today made a quick trip by the auto body refinishing shop, came home and started chopping!
    20160318_183836

This box will house p1500, p2000, p2500, & 3000 grit paper strips, maybe a couple more later.  I also have a second box laid out with 12u, 9u, 6u, 3u, 1u, & .3u lapping films.
    20160318_192559

As it turns out the box also perfectly fit 3 pairs of strops in their own separate contaminate free cubicles so I will be getting one more for those as well.  There’s something very satisfying about the idea of having identical & inexpensive yet solid cases to cleanly store separately the final stages of the progression so I definitely wanted to share and for the newcomers that may be on a budget such as myself. 

Lastly for those interested here is a shot of the 3000 grit paper I picked up today.  Of interest is the packaging which shows that it is a “unigrit”.  I havent tested this one yet…
    20160318_192821

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Good find!  Now head to Amazon and get some 5K & 10K paper… 

1 user thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Im pretty sure at some point the auto sandpaper and 3m lapping films cover the same ground.  I dont have my Universally complex grit chart here handy… 😛

Ordered 9um & 5um lapping films today, one in AlO2 like the others and the 5um in Silicon Carbide just to see.  Also kinda excited, ordered a .1um CBN emulsion from Ken Swartz.  I have some testing to do with a prototype felt stropping paddle. 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

I bought a used ( but never used ) hand gun case for 5 dollars at my gun club. ( On the for sale board. ) I cut the foam to house the stones, adapter, strops, angle cube, diamond pastes, and #1500 grit and #2000 grit auto wet n dry … I’ve found that a well used set of # 1500 grit slices of sand paper taped to my ceramic stones, work well dry rather than wet. I’ve used one set of these papers for 3 knives now. Now that they are well worked, they are performing perfectly.

20151204_211754

20151204_211948

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Neat.  But I’ve got one up on you in the “cheaper” department.  I keep my sand paper and lapping film strips in individual 3 5/8 x 6 1/2 envelopes!!!  Then again, my WE sharpeners and supplies never leave my work bench … so work and storage space is at a premium.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

FWIW:

I started using film a year or two before it became popular here.  At the very beginning I felt that I’d need a pair of platens for each pair of grits, so that I could get the most useful life out of each strip.  Changing film more often than necessary doesn’t make sense to me as it opens a door for contamination and other problems.  I also intended to omit the use of strops in favor of film.  So now I have four pairs of platens to cover eight grits:  15, 9, 6, 3, 1.5, 1.0, 0.5 and 0.1 microns.  The equivalent grits work out to be respectively 1.2K. 1.8K, 3K, 8K, 13K, 15K, 50K and 100K.

I never use anything other than diamond PSA film and am very pleased with the number of knives sharpened with each film.  I have to admit that a film’s usefulness is almost always shortened by contamination or careless cuts when used edge-leading.  In the past, I’ve used my Superaser to clean off metal particle accumulation, but I suspect that might have been adding to my contamination problems.  I’ve recently taken Clay’s advice and switched to using alcohol as a cleaning agent.  Works well.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the useful life of diamond film is close to twenty knives, assuming no other reason for changing out.

When using any film-on-platen, it’s crucial to clean the platen meticulously before applying the tape.  I stretch the tape as I apply it, so as to avoid bubbles and achieve a very flat surface.  Any point which stands proud of the face will be sliced off with the first edge-leading stroke.

Early on, it was difficult to find diamond PSA films, so I started out with Aluminum Oxide.  After some use, I could see areas on the surface where the abrasive grit was completely gone.  All that remained was the gloss of the Mylar substrate. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that with diamond film.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.