Advanced Search

Just got my Chosera stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Just got my Chosera stones

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Hi

I just got my Chosera stones from 800 to 10k grit with custom fitting 800/2k, 1k/3k and 5k/10k from Bob at Oldawan.

And I just wanted to say that if your considering buying Chosera stones – go for it!!!

I’ve always had problems with the sharpening progression after 1k diamonds (the diamond progression has been great though), I’ve got the super fine and micro fine ceramics and a bunch of strops but erasing diamond scratches has meant a lot of work for me with the ceramics (they have seemed to be too far between in grit sizes).

But now with the Choseras the progression is great all the way! It is just as if continuing with diamonds, it requires very little effort to go between the grits all the way up to 10k.

And custom fitting the handles was a really good idea someone had since then the next grit size is soaking while I’m working on the current grit (this is not possible on the standard fit where for example the 800 is set together with the 1k stone).

So TL;DR – buy Chosera stones! They are great!

I know it is quite easy to take photos that does not show any scratches (but I really tried to show scratches on this one). First Chosera edge:

Attachments:
    Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Well you have very pretty down pat, how sharp did it come out? Did you strop, and if so which strops and grits did you use?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Congrats! I agree… I you’re out for the most mirror edge there is, the Chosera 5K/10K are indispensable.

If find, however, it is fine to use these stones after the ceramics. But that’s why sharpening is a personal thing. You cannot argue taste.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Johpe
    Participant

I did some stropping on roo with 0.25 and 0.125 um CBN spray. I got HHT-2 and HHT-3 sharp consistently and some HHT-4 pops, but no HHT-5 yet…

I’ll have to experiment a bit with ceramics and then on to chosera… That’s still on the todo list (I just got them yesyerday).

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Looks great!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Looks Fantastic :woohoo: – glad they are helping out as we hoped!

Johpe
    Participant

Thanks, and especially thanks to you Bob for helping out and having the patience to answer all my questions.

Tonight I got my first HHT-4 / HHT-5 edge on a Richmond Artifex Gyuto in m390 steel at 13 degrees (much thanks to the Chosera stones)! It did not come out a perfect mirror (the steel is this one is a bit of a pain to sharpen) and it ate my roo strops as a night snack, I don’t know how many times I knicked them, but in the end it became plenty sharp.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

It is very hard to beat the chosera’s and Bob Nash! Both are #1!

Johpe
    Participant

Yes they are! And when it comes to the Choseras (after using them some more) it’s not only the result that is great it’s also the feedback while using them. At least up to the 3k stone it was possible to hear and feel the difference when the grit was done, the 5 and 10k is more difficult (at least for me) and I suppose that is due to the fact that they are so fine grit so it’s hard to feel the difference of the metal beneath.

Now I just need to find new knives to sharpen cause now my diamonds get virtually no use since all my own knives just needs touch-ups.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Yes they are! And when it comes to the Choseras (after using them some more) it’s not only the result that is great it’s also the feedback while using them. At least up to the 3k stone it was possible to hear and feel the difference when the grit was done, the 5 and 10k is more difficult (at least for me) and I suppose that is due to the fact that they are so fine grit so it’s hard to feel the difference of the metal beneath.

Now I just need to find new knives to sharpen cause now my diamonds get virtually no use since all my own knives just needs touch-ups.[/quote]

And down the rabbit hole he goes…This is the way it starts next you start asking friends, nieghbors and family for knives… the next thing you know your on a street corner with a sign “will sharpen knives for…” Just try to remember to eat and sleep too :S :woohoo:

Sam
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 10

Now that looks awesome mate! I’d love to get the Chosera’s but my pocket bites my hand whenever I reach for my credit card… 🙁

Johpe
    Participant

@Eamon: yes I’m already bothering family to ‘lend’ me their knives.

@knives2survive: I know what you mean, I got the pp2 first and now in the end I gave in a got the Chosera stones as well, they cost too much but what I wanted to say with this thread is that if you’re considering them – get them, they live up to the expectations!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I gave in a got the Chosera stones as well, they cost too much but what I wanted to say with this thread is that if you’re considering them – get them, they live up to the expectations!

+1

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Matt simmerman
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

:ohmy: wow that mirror polish is a thing of beauty. Now I have one more thing that I need, want, need, want. Some of those Chosera stones

Nice work!!!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Thanks, and especially thanks to you Bob for helping out and having the patience to answer all my questions.

Tonight I got my first HHT-4 / HHT-5 edge on a Richmond Artifex Gyuto in m390 steel at 13 degrees (much thanks to the Chosera stones)! It did not come out a perfect mirror (the steel is this one is a bit of a pain to sharpen) and it ate my roo strops as a night snack, I don’t know how many times I knicked them, but in the end it became plenty sharp.

I have one of those knives.. and have been a great proponent of the Chosera stones for quite awhile. My question is, did you take the M390 through the 10K stones. If so, how does it cut …for the things we typically use a knife like that for. As in food prep, especially slicing vegetables and meat.

I left mine at the 15 degrees that it came with and stopped after the Aotoshi 2K (which was visibly a finer finish than it came with). Stropped a little bit with 1 micron and .5 micron CBN. It is quite sharp and a great slicer in that configuration. I will be interested to hear about how far you went with it and how you like the performance… and longevity of the edge.

I am curious to know whether it could be worth it to re-profile to 13 degrees and use the finer stones.
    Typically I have found that the old adage about leaving a little tooth (if 2K can be considered “toothy”) on an edge for food slicing is a pretty good one. So, I am curious.

BTW.. back on topic, good decision in getting the Chosera set! In retrospect, the alternating of the grits sounds like a good thing. Efficiency is always good. I suppose I can live with the ten minute soak time breaks in the action though…. not quite worth yanking them off of the paddles to rearrange them…
    🙂

One last digression. What camera and settings did you use to take the picture. Quite impressive!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.