Advanced Search

Just got my Chosera stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Just got my Chosera stones

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

I like the m390 steel a lot for its edge retention and sharpness and I got the Artifex in m390 since I have the Benchmade Barrage in m390 and liked it a lot.

Reprofiling the Artifex to 13 degrees was a serious amount of work, I had previously reprofiled the Barrage without much issues, but the Artifex seemed much harder (even though they should be more or less the same Rockwell hardness).

Now with the Choseras I took it all the way up to 10k and then 0.25 um CBN on roo strop. It got sharp enough to fall through a tomato if I just hold it flat in my open hand and move it forwards or backwards just a little, so whatever little teeth there might be (or not be) works very well with the 13 degree edge. Maybe if I left it more toothy it would pierce the skin of a tomato without any slicing motion at all, I haven’t tried that. As for longevity I previously (b.c. (before chosera)) had it at 13 degrees with a micro fine ceramic finish and that held up really well.

I also got the Artifex petty knife in AEB-L which is a smaller knife which I use for more delicate tasks but even so that one has rolled on me a few times while the m390 has held up fine through more use and a steeper angle. If it’s worth reprofiling, it I don’t know, it was a lot of work for me (the coarsest stone I have is the 100 diamond).

The camera is actually just from my mobile phone a Nexus 4 (I should have gotten my real camera but it was 1.30 in the morning so I just took what was around me).

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I just sharpened a spyderco manix xl (s30′
    V) up to the 10k choseras. I alternated direction as I went to ensure all of the the previous scratches were gone. What I found was that the 10k seemed to really have trouble at erasing the 5k scratches (was viewing under my dino lite usb microscope). I don’t know why this happened… You guys have any idea? I’m thinking maybe the entire blade needs to be thinned down? I did notice that I kept having to change where I put the pressure on the paddles to make sure I hit different parts of the bevel because it was so wide.

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I think you’ve hit it on the head – the blade is speaking to you – two alternatives thin as a flat bevel or thin as a convex often the thinning bevels are not as polished and think of the benefits it will cut so much better.
    It looks good though (when the bevel is to wide think of them like a wedge or shoulders they get stuck on everything also if you convex instead of flat bevels there will be only one point on the ark to catch rather than the whole bevel surface)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.