Advanced Search

Jeweler’s Loupe

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Okay, trying to hold the loupe, lighting, focus the camera and get the shot this is the best I can do

It’s the bug on my Balance but it really doesn’t convey well what you see in use.

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

BUG ???
    Isn’t that a Spyder (or is that Spider) ???

👿

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

It is. Lovingly referred to as the bug logo, or just the bug 😉

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Darn… I miss so much in life by not being “with it”..
    I fondly (not going with love… not yet) have always called it a Spider…
    Sort of looks like one, yes ? :unsure:

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Sort of looks like one, yes ? :unsure:

Oh, it is. Think of “bug” as a nick name. 😉

Ken

Eating Pie
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 36

The lights are LEDs, Phil. And they are quite bright. Almost too bright. I find they “wash out” just looking through it, not only under the camera.

A reflection off a polished edge almost blinded me 😉

Ken

I started reading your post about the brightness of the light, and thought “I oughta post about how it blinds me when—” oh crud, he beat me to it! 🙂

Here is one similar to mine

http://www.usgeologicalsupply.com/bausch-lomb-20x-coddington-magnifier.html

As i said, mine is pretty old. I think this may be a newer model but it looks about the same.

Yeah, it’s 7x more expensive but well woth it, IMO.

Yeah, you’re point is exactly the lesson I learned quickly as a photographer. Good optics cost real money, but are almost always worth it! Sometimes the proposition is tough, though. I look at Canon’s 500mm f/4 IS lens that costs $10,000 and don’t know if I should laugh (because it’s so expensive) or cry (because I want one!). It also serves a good lesson in scale of optics. My Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS is just under half the magnification, but costs 1/10th the price!

The description in the link is actually kind of funny. I’ve never seen a site try so hard to dissuade you from buying their product! But they’re definitely getting the point across that optics are expensive.

-Pie

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I started reading your post about the brightness of the light, and thought “I oughta post about how it blinds me when—” oh crud, he beat me to it! 🙂

I hate when that happens 😉 It’s usually when I’ve written a “book” with quotes, citations and photos…. and the guy who beat me said everything that mattered in like 12 words. The nerve of some people 😉

Yeah, you’re point is exactly the lesson I learned quickly as a photographer. Good optics cost real money, but are almost always worth it! Sometimes the proposition is tough, though. I look at Canon’s 500mm f/4 IS lens that costs $10,000 and don’t know if I should laugh (because it’s so expensive) or cry (because I want one!). It also serves a good lesson in scale of optics. My Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS is just under half the magnification, but costs 1/10th the price!

I know. I look at those lenses at pro football games and such and think about what those things cost (especially when the photog gets run over by a tight end!). And it isn’t just the magnification, it’s the speed. In your case, yeah, it’s 300mm longer, but it’s still an f4! Yikes! But to catch those mid air collisions you need that speed or every shot is just a blur. I never could figure out how they managed to get the guy in focus, while moving, with the aperture wide open like that. I finally guessed that they just motor shoot 100 frames and randomly adjust the focus hoping one of the 100 is a good shot.

I found it much cheaper to wait for things to stop moving 😉 I did years ago 😉

The description in the link is actually kind of funny. I’ve never seen a site try so hard to dissuade you from buying their product!

No kidding! I loved the ‘this absolutely should not be your primary loupe’ bit. 😉 Really? Kinda seems like it depends on your application. But it is a USGS site. Probably afraid people would miss the forest for the trees 😉

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Well I ordered 3 magnifiers from Fastech. The (supposed) 40X, the 15X and the 4X 65 mm model.
    These days I use magnifiers like the 4X quite often.
    They often put together instructions in print that defies reading with my eyes.

In any case, for those of you that ordered from Fastech, what was the delivery time?
    Just curious, but having purchased from China directly before, I am guessing a couple of weeks at minimum??

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Phil,
    It was an honest two weeks for me. I’m really glad that I did cause I really like the depth of field and the bright lights.
    But that’s just me?
    Eamon

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I figured as much..

The big problem, for me, with ordering from China… is the wait.

Anyway…
    Thanks !!

Eating Pie
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 36

I figured as much..

The trick is to forget you made the order (easy for me these days!) and then one day this surprise shows up in the mailbox!

-Pie

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I figured as much..

The trick is to forget you made the order (easy for me these days!) and then one day this surprise shows up in the mailbox!

-Pie[/quote]

Yay! It’s Christmas! 😉

Ken

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.