Advanced Search

I've learned to move slowly and not just "Wing it" in situations like this one.

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies I've learned to move slowly and not just "Wing it" in situations like this one.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Thanks for clarifying MarcH. Exactly my terminology.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Gazillion
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 24

Good afternoon sksharp & MarcH,

Thank you for taking the time to further explain and help me understand what I’m doing, really, what I should be doing with my WEPS.

I’ve read what you’ve written a couple of times, you’ve helped me see the view from 30,000 feet. Now I’m able to move forward.

Thank you.

Derek

Hello Gazillion, I have to profile pretty much every knife I do for the first time. The sharpening angles when done by hand on a belt grinder or however most of the bigger manufacturers do it leave quite a bit to be desired. Unless a knife has seen the WE before, I have to profile the blade even if I’m matching existing bevel most of the time. This is not the same as re-profiling as most people think of it but in my mind until the angle is consistent the length of the blade it’s not profiled yet.

Derek for you and our other new WEPS users, I’d like to elaborate and clarify what My friend SKSharp wrote. All knives, even expensive knives and very well cared for, well treated and well sharpened knives, lack the even precise angled bevels that our fixed angle WEPS sharpeners apply to a knife. Even one of these knives that was treated with the up most care, when clamped in our WE and sharpened to it’s exact same previously sharpened bevel angle or even exact same factory ground angle, will get a straighter, more even, more precise bevel angle sharpened with the WE, then it ever had. This difference is because the WEPS is a fixed angle sharpening device. This corrective change made to the knife’s edge, done this first time it’s sharpened with the WE is what SKSHarp is referring to as “profiling the knife”. The first time any knife is sharpened with the WE even at it’s exact same angle as it was previously sharpened it will be “profiled” by the WE, because it’s precision is so exacting. After the first time that knife is done on with a WE, each subsequent sharpenings are in reality a touch up because the knife is sharpened at the exact same profile that was initially set the first time it was sharpened on the WE. So it’s generally, relatively quick and easy to sharpen. In using SKSharp’s terminology, “Reprofiling” is the term he’s used when the bevel angle and the shape of the knife’s cutting edge is changed from what it started with to something completely different. This requires more time, effort and more steel removal. This reprofiling is a conscious planned effort to change the shape, profile and/or the bevel angle from the existing shape, the existing profile, and/or existing bevel angle. Profiling is an alignment of the existing edge to Wicked Edge’s accuracy and precision. Reprofiling is a change to the existing profile.

JKingRPh
    Participant
    • Replies: 9

I just got my Gen 3 Pro, and did some first sharpening yesterday on a old set of Henckles chef’s knives.   I agree the 8″ rods are too short, especially for a couple of the longer knives and ordered a set of 12″ rods.  I think one that is much too long will work better than one that is too short or marginal, so I skipped on the 10″.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The standard 8 inch rods do fine out until about 8 inch blades and then you find that you’re almost out of travel depending on how the blade is mounted. I have a set of 12 inch rods and they get used most often but I still go for the 8 inch rods for shorter knives. There is an old video of clay demonstrating that you can do a 17 inch machete with the standard 8 inch rods.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jack Wyatt
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 13

Gazillion, I have Gen 3 Pro also, Chicago Cutlery Chefs knife. Attached are my settings. IMO this knife will not support an angle that acute. I once tried at 18 deg, blade chipped very easily i now sharpen at 22 deg.

Not to de-rail and I realize this is 6 months old but is that an app of some kind you use to track your knives?

That’s pretty sweet.

Thanks

NickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 53

….Attached are my settings….

Pink, I really like the format of the notes/settings attachment you included. Is that using One Note or another app?

George

Gazillion
    Participant
    • Replies: 24

Gazillion, I have Gen 3 Pro also, Chicago Cutlery Chefs knife. Attached are my settings. IMO this knife will not support an angle that acute. I once tried at 18 deg, blade chipped very easily i now sharpen at 22 deg.

Not to de-rail and I realize this is 6 months old but is that an app of some kind you use to track your knives? That’s pretty sweet. Thanks

….Attached are my settings….

Pink, I really like the format of the notes/settings attachment you included. Is that using One Note or another app? George

Good afternoon,

I can tell you guys what I’ve done. I use an iPhone.

1. Create a new contact

2. Take a picture of the knife mounted in your WEPS, use that picture as the new contacts picture

3. Use the custom settings within contacts to create any fields and track any information about a specific knife

Does that make sense?

EDIT: I just remembered I do this on my MacBook Pro because it lets me create the custom fields.

Let me know if you have questions, I’m bored today.

File attached.

Derek

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Gazillion.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Gazillion.
    Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Jack Wyatt
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 13

The app Pinkfloyd used is called Tap Forms. It’s for Apple products as far as I can tell.

I really like the idea of using contacts as an alternative. Tap Forms isn’t free.

Again, didn’t mean to de-rail.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Jack Wyatt.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Jack Wyatt.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.