Advanced Search

i like to ask and get opinions – here is another

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies i like to ask and get opinions – here is another

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

chipped blade i need to repair.

please take a look and comment on repairs.

thanks

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Wow! what in the world happened to that thing?!

If I didn’t take it to the belt sander (which I would, lol) I would take the 100g diamond stone (or a file) and run it perpendicular to the edge (90 degrees) and grind the entire edge flat. Then I would sharpen. This will leave you with an even (non wavy) edge. Just my .02 =)

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I would love to know how they did that was it used in a jail break or as a long flat head screw driver ! I cannot imagine that was done on food .
    Razor edge has the solution if you grind out the damage flat it will be less metal to remove and then sharpen from scratch I think I would put the knife on the belt length ways since the blade is thin where the scallops are and it will be easier to keep the blade geometry.
    Since I don’t have a belt grinder I would do it the same way on my Tormek but I seem to recall that you do.
    It is going to take quite a bit to sort it out especially since the handle is the depth of the blade so I would imagine you will have two options take the blade up above the handle leaving a step down to the handle then go parallel with the spine which is probable the way to remove the least amount of metal . I think it will end up been a ham slicer.
    That is unless they use it as a flat head screw driver again.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

IMHO, pretty much shot.
    What makes it worse is the scallops, once ground down you’ll be well into them.
    Plus, like Leo said, you’ll be above the handle…. unless you slope it up.

If they insisted, I would do like RE suggests … put it to a belt sander at 90 till you have and even edge.
    Than depending on the knife thickness, may need to thin the knife a bit.
    Then put a new edge on it.
    It’ll work, but it’ll be in the scallops.

Time vs $ vs worth of knife.

Leo Barr
    Participant

And will it be used as a screw driver or bottle opener again perhaps you should charge a bit extra and return it with a bottle opener and a screw driver & perhaps a wrecking bar just to protect their investment.
    The scallops could be really fragile lets hope that the knife is normally treated well I think the damage was probable the result of a kids BBQ.

Josh
    Participant

I would definitely keep the before and after pics for your portfolio! Lol, then put it on your table at the farmers market in a “portfolio book” so people can see your work 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I agree with Zig. It is likely not worth fixing. Those knives are $60 to $70 . I would charge at least half of that to fix (and lose money on the deal because it would take too long and wear too many belts, even at that), and the knife will never perform as designed after the fix. You will end up with varying thickness behind the edge because of the scallops, and likely mess up the temper while taking that much metal off..

Zig said:

Time vs $ vs worth of knife.

I think you can’t make the equation work on this one!

If you just want to do it for the experience… well, have fun.
    🙂

Leo Barr
    Participant

I completely agree with Philip Pasteur I have turned down the repair of one knife and they ended up giving it to me . It was a Mac Santoku which I posted pictures of a while back it took around 4 hours to sort which would have been way over the value of the knife but the result was good.
    Tuffy’s knife would certainly take a lot of work and it looks like it is quite a thin knife which means the scallops will be a concern .
    As an exercise should they let you keep it to dispose of then it may be interesting .
    The chief concern it the bolster I think that area would have to be initiated perpendicular to the belt then the scallops could well be a problem if they are not then the rest of the knife would be done in line with the belt.
    It may well take your finger tips away working on this one .
    I think the reality is bin it.

Josh
    Participant

We haven’t heard back from Tuffy (lol) yet, but I completely disagree w/ Zig and Philip… unless you guys are referring to doing it all by hand w/ the WEPS (in that case I would agree). I think it is not only worth saving, but it wouldn’t be that difficult if you take it to your HF 1×30 belt sander for the roughing in. Will your edge be into the scallops and you have different thicknesses behind the edge? Sure… but it should still perform fine, after all, its not like they’re a professional chef (obviously).

If it were me, I would take your blade and put your edge 90 degrees to the belt. I would do it so that the tip to knife butt is parallel with the belt itself and grind the edge down to remove the chips, which would include the “return” and maintain the blade geometry (which actually isn’t that important in this knife from what it looks like, since its not a chopper). It would take probably 5-10 minutes on a belt sander.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Reason I’m saying that is because I would charge $12 for the blade edge if just a sharpening.
    Grinding down, maybe thinning, new profile + $15 min.
    They are in for $27 min on a blade that may (one would need to see it) be real thin in the scallops.
    If they did that to it, God forbid they hit the bone in a ham and twist it.

Victorinox makes a decent one for $41 in their Forschner line. Another $14 and they are in for the win 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Besides what Zig said… if you look at the second picture… one would have to work the bolster as well as the blade. That will be a bear to make present at all reasonably. Can it be fixed… sure! Is it worth the time, energy, and frustration … probably not. It is a relatively cheap knife…

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Rain and more rain = a great wicked edge kinda day….. : – )

First off I made a handle for that saw blade knife for that lady from sat.

Jonathan’s big cleaver came next in line.

Next I ground out the big chips in the long Messermeister german knife and got it ready for the WE.

Scissors were next in line and the 3 remaining knives for that customer.

Please comment on all and everything you think i should know or need to know.

Recliner came next.

Good luck to everyone – see you thur. at Whole Foods Fare. – vid is like 18 mins. today.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Nice work :woohoo: You are well on your way. Will this be a partially serrated or fully serrated blade?

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Opps, (just kidding) – Yes, I doubt it’s worth the time.

Leo Barr
    Participant

In spite of all misgivings( I wasn’t sure if it was going to be practical to repair although I do not have a belt sander)I do serious re-profiles with the Tormek but it is not fast) the result is very good for the repair blade & the handle.The blade repair looks like its a carving knife so it will work.
    I think it was damaged by teenagers at a BBQ opening beers you should throw in a bottle opener!
    The photos were good but sometimes you have to have the knife in your hands to really see what is possible.
    I suppose that with these knives it will get you brownie points which will be good for business.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.