Advanced Search

How hard to clamp

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Hi there

Just got a new set of vice jaws (thanks Kyle) cause my first ones were bent ootb. The new ones are perfectly linear (except for maybe the very outermost tip) but I’m guessing that is ok.

Now to make sure I don’t risk ruining the new ones I’d like to ask about clamping pressure? (I’ve looked at clay’s video and it seems he applies a decent amount of torque to the vice jaw key)

And secondly would it even be possible to bend the material the vice jaw is made of by just clamping a knife to hard?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’m sure it’s possible to bend them… but I’ve cranked on mine fairly hard, and so far so good (knock on wood). It’s my understanding the bent clamps were defective to begin with… not a result of over tightening. But I’m guessing you can, so if you get a knife that won’t stay locked in position… I wouldn’t get carried away… I’d use some of the other tips, like a piece of tape or leather to help hold it.

I also found a drop of oil on the bottom screw makes it easier to snug it up without having to apply a lot of force.

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Yes mine were definitely bent from the start, I just didn’t realize they shouldn’t be like that until I saw some forum post here with pictures.

I’m (almost) always using some foam tape or similar to help clamp the blades, it’s an easy addition and make clamping very solid without having to apply much force.

I just did a petty knife (ffg) with the newly received jaws and I do believe it saw easier to clamp it now compared with the defective ones.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.