Advanced Search

How do YOU handle longer blades?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I’m reprofiling my Roselli Astride. The blade is around 8″ long. I can sweep the entire blade in one stroke but the grind lines are more parallel to the edge than I’m used to.

So what do you do? Take one full stroke? Break it up into two “deeper” strokes? More?

Just got me curious.

Ken

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I will do multiple sweeping passes focusing more on the direction of the grind marks each pass will make than how many I do at what part of the blade… Hope that makes sense 🙂

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Absolutely makes sense, Josh. Appreciate the input. I know I’m ultimately taking this pretty fine and grind lines will not be visible without magnification. But I’ll know they are there 😉

Ken

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah I use that technique on stones, strops, etc. And it works great!

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I do the same thing. I try to stop each stroke in a different place each time to keep everything smoothed together.

I my opinion I find the stone doesn’t cut as well when going with long strokes, especially when the grind lines are parallel.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

I my opinion I find the stone doesn’t cut as well when going with long strokes, especially when the grind lines are parallel.

Interesting. I wonder why? I can see getting more cut per inch of blade, per stoke as there is more stone travel but you’d think that would average out with more cross travel per stroke. I wonder ifthere’s more pressure on the “more” vertical strokes?

Ken

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.