Advanced Search

How do I correct this “mistake”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    phillyjudge
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 63

I sharpened a knife that has a distal taper and the original secondary bevel was so tiny, that I didn’t use a sharpie to find the sweet spot. I sharpened it and now the heel of the blade has a wider secondary bevel than the tip. If I change the front to back position of the knife in order to even things out, i anticipate this problem….the tip should be fine, because I am widening the bevel; but the heel will look weird b/c I am applying a less steep bevel on a wider bevel and there will be a “line”. Would I have to decrease the sharpening angle by 1 degree?
    It is a Begg Bodega, field grade…it started at 25+degrees. I took it to 18*.

Any help is appreciated.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Assuming the back of the blade is straight… if you move the knife horizontal, you won’t change the angle near the heel…only the area as it curves toward the tip. So you can move the knife forward and widen the tip area. Mark it with a Sharpie to insure you’re removing metal where you want (and that the heel area stays the same). You’ll probably do most of the work near the tip until it matches the rest of the knife.

You shouldn’t have to change the angle from 18 deg. to correct this.

phillyjudge
    Participant

The spine of the knife does have a gentle curve…does that mean I need to approximate the spine so that it is parallel with the table?

cbwx34
    Participant

Is there anyway you could post a picture of how you have (or had) it setup in the clamp? Might be easier to figure out a good solution.

cbwx34
    Participant

I thought about this a bit more… I think the short answer would be… move the tip area closer to the clamp… mark the edge with a Sharpie, and adjust the angle so it basically matches the area near the heel… then sharpen the tip area until it matches.

phillyjudge
    Participant

so back it up, then start with the heel and move to to the tip?

Who would have thought this could be so tricky?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Can you post a pic Geoff? It would help greatly… Generally you want the edge parallel to the base.

phillyjudge
    Participant

LOL. I tried. How the heck do you guys focus on an edge? My camera won’t lock on. Oh brother.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.