Advanced Search

Help with grits/strop choice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jimmy VanZandt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hi All,
    I got a WE for my Hattori kitchen knives. They use VG10 steel. I have gone up to 1000 grit stones but wanted to try a more polished edge so I bought the 1600 ceramic as well as the leather strops with 5/3.5 micron paste. Looking at the grit comparison chart, it looks like the paste is coarser than the 1600 stone. Should I get the 1 micron paste/strop or is there a better suggestion?

Lastly, any advantage to the wet stones vs dry aside from the huge cost savings buying dry?

Thanks!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks for joining and welcome! Your question is a good one and the answer is pretty complex. The short answer is that they work in the order they’re offered in the Pro-Pack I, going from 1000# diamond plate to 5/3.5 diamond on leather strops. The long answer is much more involved: Comparing grits of different kinds is complicated because particles of different materials with varying substrates or matrices behave very differently. A good example is a hard particle like a diamond, suspended in paste and applied to leather vs a friable aluminum oxide crystal that’s been fused into a ceramic matrix. Suppose the particles of diamonds on the leather are the same size as the original crystals that went into the ceramic matrix. Although it’s tempting to think that both will produce similar results, the truth is that they are very different. The diamonds are compressed into the leather which is pliable, so only a portion of the diamonds is making contact with the metal during stropping while the ceramic grits have been enlarged through sintering but are also friable, breaking down into smaller particles as they are used to abrade the metal of a knife blade. Because only a small portion of the diamond on the strops is making contact, it acts like a smaller grit that it really is. The leather also has an abrasive quality of its own. When it comes to diamond plates, more of the diamond is exposed so you get closer to a true grit value. Also, because of the hardness of diamonds and the rigidity of the substrate on a diamond plate, the stones dig deeper scratches than their ceramic counterparts of equal grit size. If you look back at the images of the grit chart you can see how comparing grit size alone isn’t sufficient when trying to decide a reasonable progression of abrasive. On paper, the grits size of the 5 micron strop is nearly twice that of the 5000 girt Chosera but the two media behave very differently as you can see by the photos.

-Clay

Jimmy VanZandt
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the reply and I’m sure it’s not as simple as looking at numbers. Kind of like a camshaft for a car. It’s not just about the numbers.

In your opinion should I use the 3.5 micron paste after using the 1600 ceramic? I bought the 800/1000 diamond, the 1200/1600 ceramics and the 5/3.5 strops. My plan was to end with the strops but if I’d be better off using something else to finish I can exchange them since I haven’t used them yet.

Thanks!
    J.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, cruzmisl!

Clay did a good job in explaining that it’s complicated. And why. If you want more info, I wrote a couple of blog posts on stropping with the WE pastes: http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/category/stropping/ .

Lastly, any advantage to the wet stones vs dry aside from the huge cost savings buying dry?

Yes. Well, they’re quite different. I like them because of the feedback they give. At the same grit rating (see the grit comparison chart), they don’t necessarily get your knives sharper. But they’re also available in the higher grits, for which there are no diamond stones or ceramic stones.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

In your opinion should I use the 3.5 micron paste after using the 1600 ceramic?

The simple answer 😉 is yes. I think you got the perfect progression: 800/1000 diamonds -> 1200/1600 ceramics -> 5/3.5 diamond paste strops. This is still the one I finish most of my knives with.

Only if you want to go further, I’d recommend whetstones. Or if you want to experience the feel of them, of course.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.