Advanced Search

Help! What supplies are in your case? (workstation)

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Help! What supplies are in your case? (workstation)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    hbhays13
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

I’ve just ordered a Gen 3 and would like to put together a list of “must haves” (or nice to haves).  Below is a list of items I have already have.  I’d like to see if there are any items I’m forgetting.  (I’m not looking for info on strops/stones/etc)  Just misc. supplies that will make my life easier.  If anyone has any suggested additions, I would gladly welcome your input.  I’m not sure if there is a better place in the forum to put my topic (new to the forum world of any kind) so if I’m not “Forum Correct”, please forgive me and point me in the right direction.  Thank you!

• Loupe
    • Microscope
    • Goniometer
    • Angle cube
    • Painters tape
    • Tormek small knife jig
    • Stone Eraser to clean stones (Wicked Edge)
    • Rag
    • Sharpie
    • Spray Bottle
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

First, I want to say welcome to the forum and that you’ve taken the first great step and that is to aquire A wickededge sharpener.   It is by far the best precision angle sharpener on the market.   I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.  I’m not.

Second, Check out this video on YouTube And watch how it works from many sources like this one:

Third; I would recommend that you first start using your new Gen 3 by begging your friends and family for cheap knifes to sharpen.  Don’t start on a Sabenza.  Shortly after,  everyone will be bringing you their knifes and you will have to start turning people away.

It has taken me years to assemble my “kit” of sharpening “stuff”. And I wouldn’t recommend buying it all at once.  I would get familiar with the device find out what works for you and continue to ask questions.  Best of luck!

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

In my kit is some pencil-sized pieces of wood to check the sharpness. oak i can get a dowel rod from Menard’s. Hickory i can get from a broken wood handle.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum hbhayes!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

hbhays13
    Participant

Thanks Mark.  Please try to give me something I “must have” that I haven’t thought of.  What do YOU use that makes your life easier when sharpening knives?  Any additional items (other than a way to track customers) that may make a knife sharpening business easier?  I know I can buy stuff later, but I really want to know if anyone has an idea of something that will make my life easier right out of the gate.  I’ve watched a ton of videos and have taken ideas from the “experts”.  Great stuff out there.  I’m just trying to cover all bases while waiting 5-7 weeks for my Gen 3!  Thanks again.

hbhays13
    Participant

Thanks Dwight.  I will add some wood to my “kit”.  I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to reply.

hbhays13
    Participant

Thanks for the link MirrorEdge.  I watched the video and got a few great ideas.  Anything else you can suggest would be well received.  By the way, I wasn’t familiar with a Sabenza (rather new to the knife world) but I just inquired about buying one.  I really like the Sabenza 25.  Sweet knife!!   Thanks again!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

This is my “kit”: link

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

3 users thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant

I am amazed how everyone with a Wickededge seems to assemble the same accessories at some point.

Check out this video on YouTube:

If you liked the Sabenza you’ll love this video on the “Meet your Maker” series at Blade HQ.  Check their other videos in the series as well just Outstanding work.  I love this passionate community.

Part1

Part2

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

hbhays13
    Participant

Exactly the type of stuff I’m looking for.  Thanks for sharing.  I really like the box for the stones.  Now, any ideas for things I MUST do in the UK this week (going on vacation to take my new son in law to the Manchester/Leicester match 5/1 /2016 for his birthday).  Few days in London, Dublin for the Guiness & Jameson tours, Oxford, Cotswolds, etc.  I really appreciate you sending me your setup.  (I would also accept any recommendations for the UK!!! –                   hays13@outlook.com)

hbhays13
    Participant

Another great video!!  Thank you.  I love the quality and drive the guy has.  Make something well, people will want it.  As for the “same accessories”, I’m sure people need similar items – I’m looking for some input on neat ideas that will expand on the usual items.  Can you think of anything I may add to my list?  Heck, I’ll gladly watch another one of your video suggestions!  Just trying to learn from some of the more experienced guys/gals out there.  You all have forgotten more than I know.  I’d be an idiot not to listen to the ideas/suggestions.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant

That guy,  is the one and only Chris Reeve, he is like a legend in the folding knife making business.  I recommend that you watch all the “Meet your maker” videos and also all the videos on the WickedEdge site before your sharpener arrives.  Clay the owner of WickedEdge has spent a lot of time creating videos on how he uses his own product.  No one can explain it better than he can.  From time to time, you will find Clay and his dedicated staff answering questions on this forum.  If you post just about anything ,someone will point you in the right direction.  In fact, I find that many of my questions even to this day have already been answered.   I just need to search for it and read the posts.  Everything  from technical issues, to stone progressions, to very detailed analysis of knife edges and bevels can be found.  I haven’t even been here but a month and I am very impressed.  Keep checking in!

Eddie Kinlen
    +1(682)777-1622

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

hbhays13,

Welcome. I also have in my kit Alcohol to clean sharpie off of blade, synthetic chamois for helping to clamp knife (sometimes I use heat shrink tubing).

Felt block for de-burring a knife of wire edge. Lots of paper – printer, news print for checking sharpness.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I found that straight isopropyl alcohol didn’t clean off the Sharpie marks very well.  I bought a set of generic glass spray bottles on Amazon and labeled them “Isopropyl Alcohol”, “Water” and “Lacquer Thinner”.  Since then I’ve added a can of “Brake Kleen”.  The thinner and the Brake Kleen take the Sharpie marks right off.  I still use the alcohol to clean my diamond films.

Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

Alcohol, not only to wipe the sharpie off but also to disinfect the wounds 🙂

IMG_0103

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.