Advanced Search

Hello from the home of WE New Mexico

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Hello from the home of WE New Mexico

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brian
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Just scored a gen 3 from the other half for Christmas and am so pumped. Currently have 80/50, 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000, fine ceramics, and .5/1 diamond strips. This thing is WICKED. Coming from a  spyderco sharp maker. Decided I needed one after acquiring several +$1000 knives and wanting to be able to maintain them properly. Been getting better and better at the process and developing an edge that can wittle a hair. Trying to figure out what to add to my system next to aid in the perfect mirror finish. Currently ending up with a few light scratches and a cloudy spot or two. Looking forward to the knowledge of the experienced people in the forum. Thank you for having me.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome Brian!

If you want a perfect mirrored finish then I would suggest some lapping films and some additional strops. Aside from that, all it takes is time, consistent technique, and attention to detail.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum, Brian.

First, I’d suggest a box of Band-Aids.  LOL

Then, a 1500 grit diamond stone / glass blank platen and a couple more blank glass platens for 6µ, 3µ and 1.5µ diamond lapping films.   Then a couple pairs of leather strops for 4µ/2µ and 1.0µ/0.5µ diamond emulsion sprays.   That should round you out for every contingency…sharp and shiny.  If you don’t have a digital protractor or angle cube, that is a must.  A magnified visual aid like a jewelers loupe,  hand- help microscope or a USB Microscope are also very helpful to see what your doing.

Enjoy your journey, welcome!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Welcome Brian!

-Clay

James
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 13

Welcome Brain, with knives of that value I wouldn’t touch them with any other sharpener.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.