Advanced Search

Hand plane blades

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

I had a friend ask me if I could microbevel one of his hand plane blades. I don’t have the chisel attachment though if I did a lot of woodworking and such I’d probably go ahead and get it. Couldn’t a hand plane blade just be mounted vertically in the vise and just set the angle on the one side and sharpen away? I don’t really have any experience with these blades so I was just curious.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I don’t really have any experience with these blades so I was just curious.

Nor do I. Don’t even know what they are :ohmy: . But as long as the angle’s between, say, 13 and 40 degrees, your chances are pretty good.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I agree with Mark.

Hand planer pic attached.

Attachments:
    JS
    Participant

The stock base rod will not work. The most obtuse angle I can get due to the height of the blade is about 20 degrees. Trying to get 30. As a workaround I tried taking the base rod out and screwing it in to one side, making it longer on one side. The most I could get out of that was about 27 degrees.

My local Fastenal had 1′ long, 5/16″ aluminum keystock for $1.84. Perfect for what I need. I was going to get two mounting holes drilled, but due to a time crunch, couldn’t find anyone with a drill press. I did rig up a workaround that has worked surprisingly well allowing me to get well beyond 30 degrees if I wanted it. I’ll put up a pic later when I can. It would just be better if the arms were longer in this situation to reduce the play as the stone gets farther out.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Have you tried not using the depth key and seating the blade lower in the vise? Just a thought.

JS
    Participant

No depth key at all. These blades are 7.5″ tall so they sit in the very bottom of the vise. Luckily the slot in the middle of the blade allows for the clamping screws to pass through them.

Gregg776
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 59

I went to my basement and grabbed a rusty rabbet plane I had and set up the blade in the Wicked Edge. I tilted the blade to the rear until the stones evenly swept the edge with the bottom part of the plane pinched to the movable jaw with the lower jaw screw.

It worked really well and now is sharper than it has ever been. It was my father’s plane and must be at least 65 years old; I guess I should take better care of it.

Then I took the blade out of a Stanly plane I bought about 40 years ago. It didn’t need nearly the work that the older plane, but I sensed the steel was better in the old one. I mounted the blade straight up with the upper jaw screw going through the slot and the lower pinching the blade to the movable jaw; it held very tightly with little force on the screws. Another plane sharper than it has ever been.

Alternately it could be mounted at an angle like shown in the attached pictures:

JS
    Participant

This was my crude workaround. The clips actually held very tightly with no movement when sharpening. Some little bitty vise grips or c-clamps would’ve probably been better, but it worked regardless. Only issue I had was the slop when the stone gets a certain height on the rod, but it wasn’t that bad. Took mostly short strokes due to that.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

This was my crude workaround. The clips actually held very tightly with no movement when sharpening. Some little bitty vise grips or c-clamps would’ve probably been better, but it worked regardless. Only issue I had was the slop when the stone gets a certain height on the rod, but it wasn’t that bad. Took mostly short strokes due to that.

so you basically clamped a square bar (same size) to your existing base bar? where did you find that new one? Great work around!

JS
    Participant

so you basically clamped a square bar (same size) to your existing base bar? where did you find that new one? Great work around![/quote]

Local Fastenal. $2.01 with tax. 😉

I’d like to get this one drilled out eventually rather than having to jerry rig it.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Another option you might toy around with, is to mount a bar 90 deg. from the base…

… I did it by mounting the original angle bar to a piece of aluminum (stuff I had around) and clamping it, but there’s probably a better way. 🙂

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

As always, inspired by Curtis:

It was pretty easy to take a piece of 5/16″ key stock and drill the two holes that lined up with the back of the L-Bracket. From there, the rest was a piece of cake.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

wow sweet!! when is this going into a “new product announcement” thread?!

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Might help

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Hey the uploads are working again. Try another

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.