Advanced Search

Greetings from Memphis!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Greetings from Memphis!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cate
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

I got my Wicked Edge Go yesterday!

I’m staring 60 in the face and took up leatherwork a few years ago as my eventual retirement gig. Due to the arthritis in my hands, I’ve found that a sharp blade makes my life so much easier, and sharpening my own blades is surprisingly fun. I have a Tormek 7 and really like it but I wanted to try something smaller, not electric, and portable. I have a ton to learn about this whole sharpening thing and really look forward to reading the ton of info here.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Welcome aboard, Cate!!  This is a unique forum in that it doesn’t have the usual flamers.  You’ll find everybody helpful here.

Would it be inappropriate for me to ask your gender?  I know two friends who go by “Cate” and they’re both female.  It shouldn’t matter, but I think it adds a bit to context.  I wouldn’t want to imagine you as female if you’re not.

I’m just starting to dabble in leatherwork (making custom sheaths for the knives I make), so I might have a question or two for you as time goes by.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome Cate! 

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and Community Cate.  Which model WEPS did you get?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

William
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 38

Welcome!!!!!!

Cate
    Participant

I’m female. 🙂 I was the only kid in the house as a youngster so my dad taught me how to use tools and stuff. I always did like making things. I still have his slide rule and ancient sharpening stone that has an impressive dip in it. 🙂

Thanks for the welcome!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Cate
    Participant

I got the Go, with the deluxe bag.

Marc H

Cate the WE GO like all other WEPS does have a learning curve and a bit of a break in period for your sharpening stones to start working optimally.  The best suggestion is as you said read, read and read, on this Forum.  There are many good YouTube Videos to watch with lots of good information too.  Any way we can help, we’re here for you.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

Cate, just to let you know for when you do you’re reading, the Wicked Edge Go, (WE GO), is somewhere between the WE100 and the WE120, models.  It has the fixed angle pivots arms of the WE100 but with a more similar kind of angle micro-adjustment ability of the WE120.  It has all the same precise sharpening ability of even the most expensive and elaborate WE models, after you learn to use it, and if you add on some of the accessory stones of those fancier models.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Cate and welcome. Here’s a series of quick how-to videos about the GO: https://youtu.be/URLVlcwDy6s?list=PLRm8x9sCbpw0z0CwdECRfZqyemDCCvzH9

-Clay

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by wickededge.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Thanks for the reply, Cate.  Nice to have a female in the mix here.

Like almost everybody else, I tossed out my slide rules when I got my first calculator.  One of them was made of bamboo – a Dietzgen, I think   Now it’s on my growing list of regrets.

Enjoy your GO, and stick around here, this is a great forum.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.