Advanced Search

Great literature on sharpening/related subjects

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Thoughts/Theories/Science Related to Sharpening Great literature on sharpening/related subjects

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I really enjoy it when people post links to scientific, professional or just good documents on knife sharpening. Everybody who has followed this forum for more than a month has probably already seen a link to Prof. Verhoeven’s monograph in some post.

Some time ago I stumbled on a document I consider a gem. Today I realised I’d never posted a link here, so here it is: http://bosq.home.xs4all.nl/ . (The site is in Dutch, but the English language documents are in the bottom right.)

It is also a monograph, written in a great personal style. What I really like, for example, is that he starts with a praise for crafts in general and sharpening in particular. But also that this praise is not a romantic story, but a personal story of how he got into contact with knife sharpening. And even that turns quickly into a historical essay. It is simply great literature. It treats both the historical aspects of sharpening as well as simple “how-to’s”. And very, very much detail on natural stones. And everything you ever wanted to know about stropping, and more. What makes it even more amazing is that all of this was written by an “amateur”, a shipper/teacher who is simply interested in all aspects of his job. And he has a gifted pen. And of course I was amazed he is Dutch (which is what I am). But he took the effort to translate everything into English.

Enough praise :cheer: . I hope more people enjoy it.

By the way, if there are more people who appreciate sharpening literature, we could start a section in the Wiki (“the library”). Quite often the links people post are hidden in threads and then get lost easily.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

great stuff Mark, I haven’t opened any of the links yet but I already know from your post that it will be awesome; got my reading for this evening, thanks!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Always looking for Wiki ideas! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.