Advanced Search

got these 3 tickets last week

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business got these 3 tickets last week

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

i thought i posted them on here, but i guess not.

fellow wanted to sharpen and clean them up best i could.

1 is old u.s. military knife – i had one like it in the 60’s – could be older even, but

2 was 60 era maybe u.s. navy “colonial” knife and

3 is somewhat newer sog………..”.seal team pup” i have been told

done now…………………. 🙂

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Tuffy:

I did a similar rehab on a Viet Nam-era US Navy KA-BAR. I didn’t want to remove too much patina from the blade, but I revived the leather in the handle with a red rouge on the buffing wheel. Worked pretty good.

Tom

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Tuffy:

I did a similar rehab on a Viet Nam-era US Navy KA-BAR. I didn’t want to remove too much patina from the blade, but I revived the leather in the handle with a red rouge on the buffing wheel. Worked pretty good.

Tom

ok…….weather sounds really bad for wed………………..give me something to do while trapped inside.
    thanks

tcmeyer
    Participant

Hope it works for you.

Question: What did you use to lift the rust out of the deep pits? Wire wheel? Chemicals?

I know they’ve got all sorts of metal treatments that’ll stop rust dead in its tracks, but it doesn’t actually remove the rust.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

no kind of chemicals………………..i was hoping for some comments on here about something to use, but.

all i used was a red nylon brush on my buffer……………and then on a high powered buffer with black and green compound. i wish i had some of those new diamond bars that Ken has out now, i bet they would really make a difference.
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/940578/

and then i move to a bigger buffer – two speed 1 HP job……………very dangerous, but does a great job……..at 64 lbs, i keep this one at home, but the smaller one, i carry to each fair i work. the nylon brush part is great for cleaning up yard tools before sharpening.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Tuffy:

The video shows exactly what I’ve been trying to do. The diamond bars look like a great option.

I’ve e-mailed Ken, asking for a link to an on-line store where I could place an order.

Thanks for the post!

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Tuffy:

The video shows exactly what I’ve been trying to do. The diamond bars look like a great option.

I’ve e-mailed Ken, asking for a link to an on-line store where I could place an order.

Thanks for the post!

i also emailed him when i first read and watched the post…………….still waiting.

leather handle is really coming along great now…………red rouge does work ok…………….will post a finished product soon.
    thank you !

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Cool! That stuff looks like it works real well.

I was thinking of picking up a grinder and putting on some buffing wheels and some of them paper wheels for doing serrations. Hoping I could get a dual use out of a piece of equipment. Grinder and buffer. But maybe it is just better to pick up a buffer and use the paper wheels on the buffer? Save the grinder for just being a grinder? Any experience on this?

thanks!
    Eric.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

I was thinking of picking up a grinder and putting on some buffing wheels and some of them paper wheels for doing serrations. Hoping I could get a dual use out of a piece of equipment. Grinder and buffer. But maybe it is just better to pick up a buffer and use the paper wheels on the buffer? Save the grinder for just being a grinder? Any experience on this?

thanks!
    Eric.

many options and ways are out there.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

thanks!
    Eric.

i forgot to add link
    http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing/buffing-adapters.html

tcmeyer
    Participant

Well Tuffy, I got a response from Ken; $70 each with $6 shipping with up to four bars. I sent him some money via Paypal. Now I’m waiting to see if he’s real. Fingers crossed.

Tom

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Well Tuffy, I got a response from Ken; $70 each with $6 shipping with up to four bars. I sent him some money via Paypal. Now I’m waiting to see if he’s real. Fingers crossed.

Tom

my stuff came in today also tom, but i had to call ken and ask last week. some sort of mix up he said.
    i want to get some (maybe two) of those diamond bars next month, please let me know how u like them.

Attachments:
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

i forgot

the fellow who owns these three knives is looking for someone to make him a kydek sheath for each one.
    anyone have any contacts??

thanks

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Thanks for the information! I am going to pick up a variable speed since I need to shape and sharpen my lathe bits so I need to slow it down a bit for that. But that is far and few in between..

So now the question is 6″ or 8″. If I am going to get those extenders you linked to…those look great!

I am guessing it would make more sense to have the 8″ with the 1hp motor so I can throw buffing wheels on there and not bog it down so much. If you have the 8″ version I am guessing you can always put the 6″ wheels on it right?
    I am just not real familiar with what kind of options are out there for wheels where I may be causing myself more problems by going with the 8″ to get more power and then all the cool gadgets are made for a 6″ setup or something.

Thanks for the help!
    Eric

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That CBN stuff is very nice, Tuf! I use some of it myself with WEPS strops. I don’t know whether it will work well on motored equipment. But Ken knows that a lot better than I do 😉 .

I do know some people who make Kydex sheeths. However, they’re all in Europe, so that’s probably going to be impractical (since they need the knife). However, if you want me to ask, just drop me a line.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.