Advanced Search

Goniometers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Haakon Aase Heie
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 20

Anyone with experience or recommendations with regards to goniometers for angle measurement? I have just started a sharpening business, and I feel that a Goniometer will save a lot of time with regards to setting the angle. The sharpie usually cause a lot of fiddeling about that takes time.

I have been in touch with Catra, and they have suggested some options that I think is too expensive at this point in time. Their cheapest alternative (as recommended) was 1390 GBP…

Any suggestions that are cheaper and still reliable?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I use this one: http://www.catra.org/pages/products/kniveslevel1/lkep.htm

It works fine.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Haakon Aase Heie
    Participant

Thank you Mark,

The fellow from Catra said that this one was not usable for a business, but of course he wants a better sale..:-)

Personally I think that if it’s good enough for you, it is definitly good enough for me. Thanks.

Mark76
    Participant

It is good. Not perfect. See here for some more thoughts: http://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/maintaining-a-convex-edge-using-the-wicked-edge-challenges-on-the-fallkniven-a1/

Haakon Aase Heie
    Participant

Thanks for your help. I suppose all goniometers would have a problem with convex edges. I have now ordered the model you use:-)

Mark76
    Participant

I guess that’s true. I find the goniometer very handy. It allows you to match an existing bevel quite easily.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Hi Guys
    Ditto for me. Like Mark I find this tool very useful and once you get the hang of reading the scale, it will give you the information you need about the angle of the bevel. For sure extreme convex edges are not for this device.
    Have fun with yours when it arrives.
    Cheers
    Leo

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.