Advanced Search

Goals for Stropping your Blade

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I love these 2000x photos. Youve taken some cool photos that would look nice blown up and framed. Definitely unique

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Replies: 944

Jamey Said:

Could it be argued that the sharper V edge would become rounded with a little bit of use, and therefore the slightly rounded edge is basically just a V edge that’s been deliberately blunted a tiny amount, therefore you could go on to argue that the V edge would have the same long-term durability because it will achieve the same roundedness after a bit of usage?

One might argue this way, if they could present some definitive studies that show highly regular convexing of the edge to be the primary results of using a knife. I have not seen such results. The photos I have seen of edge wear do not support this argument. Wear tends to be irregular and often the results are more to flatten, roll, or chip out the edge than to convex it slightly which appears to be the results of stropping.

I read Curtis’ goals for stropping, they match mine perfectly. It is all about edge refinement.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I can say this about stropping after a lot of repeated tests – you can take a nicely sharpened blade to a much higher level of sharpness with just a few strokes with the strops. Even a 10k Chosera finish barely passes a low score of 1 on the hanging hair test, do a quick 10 strokes per side with the .25um roo strops and you can suddenly score 4s and 5s with ease. I completed a couple dozen iterations of this test this past Friday and consistently had the same results.

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Replies: 944

I have seen the same sort of thing Clay.
    That is why it is curious to see what appears to be rounding at the edge in your micrographs.
    Of course, we have to remember that we are talking about rounding visible at 2500 X. Maybe a couple of microns of rounding. Regardless, the edge does cut better with proper stropping.

You know, the straight razor guys have been doing it for a very long time… there must be something to it. At least, when cutting hair!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.