Advanced Search

Generation 3 Pro vs. Pro Pack III?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Generation 3 Pro vs. Pro Pack III?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Carlen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I’m really interested in picking up a WE sharpener in the near future, but I’m struggling to determine which model I would want to go with – Generation 3 Pro or Pro Pack III? If I bought the Gen 3 Pro I would buy some additional accessories to get everything I would get with the Pro Pack III.

I guess the biggest drawback of the Gen 3 Pro is you are limited to a smaller range of angles and you can’t change the angles individually like you can on the WE130 in the Pro Pack III (although I’m not sure why you would want to do that).

Overall it seems like the WE130 in the Pro Pack III is more versatile.

So…why wouldn’t I go with the Pro Pack III?

The Commercial Series sharpener is interesting, but probably a waste for a home user like me.

Thanks!

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think you’ve done a good job highlighting the differences between the pro pack 3 and the gen 3 pro. The wider angle range and the ability to adjust angles completely independently do make the WE130 sharpener in the pro pack 3 more versatile. The gen 3 pro offers the advantage of speed and ease of use. If you ever decide to explore convex sharpening then the ability to adjust both angles with one click of the lever on gen 3 pro makes that a faster process. It also has a built in storage shelf and a rest for your guide rods.

If I were in your position I would opt for the pro pack 3.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum, Carlen.

You did indeed, as Organic said, break down the differences succinctly.

I am in agreement with you and Organic.  You can do everything with the WE130 model in the Pro-Pack III that you can do with the Gen 3 Pro, and more. This includes “convex bevels”, just not as simply.  The Pro-Pack III includes just about everything you’ll need and the extras you’ll probably end up with eventually, all in one purchase.  Plus it comes packed in a very nice rolling hard case.

Good choice.  I have both models.  If I were to have to make a choice only one to keep, I’d stick with the WE130 in the Pro-Pack III.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Carlen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks fellas I appreciate it. Very helpful!

Glenn
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

I’m now where you were. What did you go with? It a tough choice

Marc H

Welcome to the W.E. Forum Glen.  I own and use both the Gen 3 Pro and the WE130, in the Pro Pack III.  I can sharpen a wider variety of knife sizes, shapes, styles, and configurations with my Pro Pack III.  Both model sharpeners use the same single lever handled, cam action, self centering, floating jaw, tension adjustable vise.  The differ in the angle adjustment mechanism and the angle ranges.  Both models share a micro-angle adjustment feature with equal precision.

The WE130, (in the Pro Pack III),  allows each knife side bevel angle to be set independently.  The Gen 3 Pro bevel angles are adjusted simultaneously with a sliding/rotating lever arm.   If you may have the need or the occasion to sharpen knives with asymmetrical bevels then the Pro Pack III may be the better tool for you.  If you’ll be sharpening only the more common even bevel angle knives then the Gen 3 Pro will meet your needs.

All the sharpening stones, accessories and adapters are available for both models.  Both models will produce equal quality sharpened and polished knife edges.  After you learn how to use them well.  Both models require a similar break-in period for the sharpening stones.  They both have a similar difficulty learning curve associated with operating these precision tools well.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Glenn
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome, and help.

I plan on using the WE for pocket and kitchen(Victorinox). I have many knifes that I didn’t want to ruin the blades trying other sharpeners. I’m sold on the Wicked Edge and realizing now with your help that Asymmetrical bevels are something not to common and probably won’t come across very often to be concerned. 14 – 27  angle range is plenty. With that said I just tilted back to the Gen 3, purchasing the accessories offered with the Pro III. It evens out price wise. In the future I’ll pick up a WE130 if needed

Thanks, Glenn

Marc H

I’m sold on the Wicked Edge and realizing now with your help that Asymmetrical bevels are something not too common and probably won’t come across very often to be concerned. 14 – 27 angle range is plenty. With that said I just tilted back to the Gen 3, purchasing the accessories offered with the Pro III. It evens out price wise. In the future I’ll pick up a WE130 if needed Thanks, Glenn

Glenn there are many many knives out there.  As I learned to sharpen knives well with my Wicked Edge I also broadened my interest in and desire for better and different knives.  You may be surprised that many fine chef’s knives, (and some folding knives too) are asymmetrical beveled knives.

You may find if you start with the WE130 in the Pro Pack III that it’d be the first and only W.E. sharpener you’d ever need.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Glenn
    Participant

Marc.

My gut feeling is the w130 Pro PackIII. I gave myself  until  Monday to pull the trigger and most likely will purchase this model.. W130 is definitely more versatile as you stated. Always gotten better results following the gut feeling and thinking things out and with the input of others. Need to do my homework for this, isn’t cheap. This has been a learning experience so far, as will be sharpening knifes. Looking forward to the new challenge.

Glenn

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Glenn
    Participant

Pulled the trigger on Monday Pro 3 was at my door today

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Congrats, let the fun begin.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

David Larr
    Participant
    • Replies: 6

Welcome to the rabbit hole glenn lol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.