Advanced Search

Generation 3 clamp

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Generation 3 clamp

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/340601935/m/2870060283%5B/quote%5D

Thanks! That looks way cool. Can you tell us whether the clamp contains the non-slip coating?

I’m still playing with the samples of the non-stick lining. The first few I tried were too compressible, so I’m checking some of the others this week.[/quote]

sweetness =) I’m waiting on you figuring out what the final finish will be before I order… plus I want to have the actual jaws custom made from tool steel w/ out the hump and narrower tips – you should consider that as an additional option Clay, I’d pay extra for sure![/quote]

I’m hoping that Clay comes up with a modular design to just replace the jaws since they can be removed. You could then have several types to change out to fit certain needs. (Fingers Crossed).

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m hoping that Clay comes up with a modular design to just replace the jaws since they can be removed. You could then have several types to change out to fit certain needs. (Fingers Crossed).

That’s the plan 🙂

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

That’s the plan :)[/quote]

Sounds perfect! =)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s the plan :)[/quote]

Sounds perfect! =)[/quote]

+1 :cheer:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Hopefully, when the time comes, I am in the right revision or the final revision to the original design.

But then, process improvements can go on forever……..I am waiting none the least! 😉

Christopher
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I just saw the listing for the GIII clamp on the website. Before I order, has there been any official word on whether or not the new clamp will fit in the existing hard case cutouts?

Josh
    Participant

It seems like there are some reports of play in the cam shaft to where it is not clamping knifes hard enough, clay can you confirm?

wickededge
    Keymaster

I just saw the listing for the GIII clamp on the website. Before I order, has there been any official word on whether or not the new clamp will fit in the existing hard case cutouts?

The G3 will fit in the case but will need new foam which we’re waiting on. We’ve approved drawings and are waiting for a sample to test before getting the dies made.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

It seems like there are some reports of play in the cam shaft to where it is not clamping knifes hard enough, clay can you confirm?

Hey Josh,

The only thing I’ve noticed is on very thin blades and we’re studying that. I haven’t heard anything about the cam shafts having play, so I’d love to know more though we do have one unit in-house that has something strange about the cam – it seems like it is slightly misshapen and has an odd click to it. Can you send me a link to the reports your seeing? I’d love to go over them. For the issue with the thin blades, I think we’re going to modify the design of the inside faces of the clamp just a little bit. The faces are cut away so that there are four ‘pads’ that make contact with the blade. I think the pads need to be slightly longer i.e. extend further down into the clamp to be optimal. I’ll test that some today by building up the area under the pads to see if that makes the difference.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

pm sent

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

Hey Josh,

The only thing I’ve noticed is on very thin blades and we’re studying that. I haven’t heard anything about the cam shafts having play, so I’d love to know more though we do have one unit in-house that has something strange about the cam – it seems like it is slightly misshapen and has an odd click to it. Can you send me a link to the reports your seeing? I’d love to go over them. For the issue with the thin blades, I think we’re going to modify the design of the inside faces of the clamp just a little bit. The faces are cut away so that there are four ‘pads’ that make contact with the blade. I think the pads need to be slightly longer i.e. extend further down into the clamp to be optimal. I’ll test that some today by building up the area under the pads to see if that makes the difference.[/quote]

The only thing I have noticed with mine is that the left side arm is 1°off the right side. Give or take based on blade height. So if the right is 16° the left will be 15°. I have been moving the fine adjustm3nt, but it is almost all the way out.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

pm sent

If your pm is relating to the clamp, could you drop me the same pm?

tia.

Victor

Josh
    Participant

pm sent

If your pm is relating to the clamp, could you drop me the same pm?

tia.

Victor[/quote]

It was just in regards to where I heard about the issues =)

Walter Bear
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

Got the Gen 3 clamp and have been trying it out and experimenting with setup.
    Have a couple questions for you folks that are using it.

1. With a wide/longer knife, say a chefs knife the std length arms from the pro pack 2 seem to be a little short.
    When trying to make use of most of the length of the stone (full stroke), I end up with sometimes less than 2 inches of the rod left in the stone when the stroke is finished. The new jaws are about 1 1/4″ taller than the old jaws and with a wide blade it makes some difference.
    With the same knife and old jaws the stone had at least 4″ of rod left in it.

I notice Josh is using longer rods in his review. Would longer rods be better to use? Can WE supply them?

2. My jaw mechanism makes a loud pop/click noise when releasing the tension but not when applying the tension.
    It occurs when the arm is half way thru it’s travel. Sounds like one part is catching on another. Lubing the cam and follower did not change the noise. Is this click noise appearing on your jaws?

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

The only thing I have noticed with mine is that the left side arm is 1°off the right side. Give or take based on blade height. So if the right is 16° the left will be 15°. I have been moving the fine adjustment, but it is almost all the way out.

1 degree off on one side? Really, that seems excessive, at least for a $700 precision sharpener. Being that you have the Gen III Pro, can that somehow be fixed. being that both arm adjustments are geared to each other?

I can understand equal inaccuracy of both sides, due to blade height.

But 1 degree off from side to side not a good thing. One shouldn’t have to have their micro adjustment on one side all the way out to compensate.

Hopefully Clay can address this and have it corrected.

I’ve been waiting since I think February myself for the Gen III Pro. Have to wait a little longer now, I guess.

Alan

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.