Advanced Search

Gen 3 Pro

Recent Forums Main Forum Gen 3 Pro

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    -Terry
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 27

So I’ve noticed that my clamping mechanism has a lot of stone/metal filings in it. I can hear it using the clamping lever. How do you clean this out? Thanks

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Here’s a pdf file with instructions with illustrations:

WEClampCleaning

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

6 users thanked author for this post.
    -Terry
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 27

So I’ve taken my system apart, and noticed 2 things. I have 6 washer sets, as opposed to the 5 I see in the instructions (Could be why my clamp is tight at the lowest tension setting with a regular pocket knife).

Secondly, a 1 inch long, by 1/ 8 inch diameter piece of rubber fell out of the clamp mechanism, and i don’t know where (again, not in the instructions) it came from. Any ideas?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The Gen 3 Vice showed in the file I attached is off a WE130 model.  I don’t know if that has anything to do with the number of stacked pairs of belleville washers.  It’s possible W.E. updated the vises to include the 6th pair in the stack at a later date or the Gen 3 Vise used with the Gen 3 Pro model intentionally was fitted with the extra washer pair in the stack.  Either way there have been a few W.E. Gen 3 Vice users that posted on this forum that they removed the 6th pair of washers from their stack to give them what they say is an inprovement in the tension adjustability.

The foam piece that fell out of your vise when disassembled was inserted in the gap between the jaws when the vise is fully assembled. This is intended to block steel dust from falling down the gap during sharpening and possibly to spread the jaws apart when the lever lock is released.  I lost my foam pieces during assembly and disassembly in all 4 of my Gen 3 vises and it has never been an issue using the vises with out the foam pieces.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Excellent write up Marc!!

*Edit: forgot I had a proto unit w/ an open design lol, my bad

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Josh.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.