Advanced Search

Frequently used threads STICKY

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Frequently used threads STICKY

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Got it,
    But I was verifying that I could actually copy it into a post so that it would work for anyone trying it.
    Besides, bumping the thread is good
    🙂

Phil

Now it works fine ;), Phil . But I had already gotten the link working. Great work on the Wiki!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Absolutely!
    Question, do we all agree that simply putting a link with a brief description is OK. I would think that it would be, but I am far from a copyright expert.
    Phil

One thing that is super important, in addition to observing all copyrights, is to give proper credit for anything we paraphrase or use as a resource. With the example of Z-Knives above, he has done a tremendous amount of work compiling and presenting the information on his page. If we use it or any other resources for reference, we need to cite our sources and provide a link back to the original page.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Thanks Curtis,
    !

I will start using the indexed pages when I add content/ links.
    Should we publish a link somewhere on the main page to the Wiki?
    As of now, the only way anyone can get there is by reading this thread… and following the links.

Does this forum support “sticky threads”? If so, maybe we should make this a sticky and put links to the WIKI in the first post.

Phil

Hey everyone…

In keeping with Clay’s goal of creating a place for all things sharpening, I’ve started an index page, with some pages that contributors can start to add to…

http://wickededgeusa.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wicked_Edge_Wiki_Index

Note, this is just a start… to get an idea of what direction to take. If you have ideas for pages or topics, let me know.

Also note… the pages are blank. Get to work! :woohoo: It’s your Wiki.

There are a few basic guidelines to follow listed here (again subject to change as this grows)…

http://wickededgeusa.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wicked_Edge_Wiki_Guidelines

Big thanks to Phil for adding what he has already! Like he said… “We still need input on content everyone!” 🙂

Thanks!!!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

For now, I’ve started adding a few links with a brief description on some of the pages, just to get things started. Over time, maybe some more detailed information, such as the highlights of a thread, or a chart from a page can be posted, and the link just becomes a reference… so a person can get the information without leaving the wiki page. Also some “original work” from members would be nice… 🙂

There may be some overlap… for example a post on the “New User” page might also fit on the “Stones and Strops” page.

I’m trying to figure out how to modify the main page with an index, etc.

BTW, if anyone sees an error, let me know!

cbwx34
    Participant

Anyone by chance figure out how to post pictures in the wiki? I tried following what I found in the instructions… but nothing has worked for me.

If you have insight… don’t be shy! 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Curtis,
    I haven’t tried. I will get in there and see if I can figure anything out…
    A bit later though. Work calls.

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant

There’s now a link to the wiki under the “Resources” tab of the forum.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Just a Bump..
    Hoping for some more interest!!

Phil

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Agreed! I hope many of you will join in and help us grow this Wiki into a great resource.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant

I just this a.m. got the ability to upload pictures turned on.
    Now to figure out how to use it. 🙂 (It’s actually not too hard).

My idea is to have a page with a specific topic, with relevant information or posts copied over (or fresh writing) at the top, then links with short descriptions to related information, if appropriate, underneath. The idea being a person with a question or interest, could visit that page and obtain the needed information, then “read on” if they desire.

If that doesn’t make sense, or there are other ideas out there… let me know!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Good work Curtis.
    Are you going to write something up on the picture upload process, once you have it figured out? I would definitely need detailed instructions…I am sure
    🙂

I like the idea of a page per topic with an article and then links and attributions..

We just have to figure out how we can get anyone to write anything. So far, there is not much up there other than the links I tossed on there (with a very few from a couple of others).

I guess an alternative would be to compile excerpts from the forums. At least the writing has been done. Then it is a matter of copying and pasting. Can the WIKI share photo links with the main forum? At least this material exists and we could begin to get some useful content going and maybe get more attention… and possibly input. I could do some work on that part is we decide that it is a good idea.

Another thing we could think about is setting up the pages with things that we would like covered, then asking people for input on those specific topics. Sometimes it is difficult to just come up with a topic of interest to write on. If we cover that part, maybe we could get more participation.

Just a few thoughts.

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant

Yea, I’m going to create an instruction page for how to post to the wiki, once I get the photos figured out.

We’re thinking along the same lines, pulling excerpts from the forum. I don’t know about the photo links, but I think they’ll have to be reloaded into the wiki. (I tried copying a forum post with a photo link, and it didn’t work).

I think, once a format is established, others will start to contribute. 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

A little bump for input..
    Hoping you folks dig deep… and have some fun, but putting something good on the WIKI.

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant

You read my mind… just started a new thread on it…

The Wicked Edge Wiki

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Thanks for doing this Curtis. Now we just need content. We have lots of imaginative folks out there with lots of experience, we just need them to write some of it down.

I played with the WIKI a bit last night. It is pretty easy to use once you know a few of the basics.

Give it a try you guys and gals…

Phil

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.