Advanced Search

Frequently used threads STICKY

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Frequently used threads STICKY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Hi Clay,
    Would it be possible to have some sort of “sticky” (whatever this software allows) that would be a list of links to some of the great work that has been done here… to make it easier for people to find?

I ask this because I have posted links to quite a few resources repeatedly, because lots of members apparently have never seen them. I realize that no one really has the time to go through every post on the boards, so consolidating these things in one place would be helpful. When I enter the forum I am directed to “Recent Topics” from there none of the really great stuff from the past is visible after a few weeks.

For example, I have posted links to the Unified grit chart, your wonderful progression photos and stropping photos, Tom’s progression blog posts and some of the great work that Ken has done, many times. Each time that I do, lots of folks react as though they have no previous information on them. I understand this because to even link them I have to spend quite a bit of time with your search engine and/or Google to find the links (that is IF I can remember the proper key words before I give up). Now this is just a sample based on a quick recall job, I am sure that there are lots more that I use many, many times and that would be valuable for everyone, if easily accessed.

I would be happy to work with you on this if you need me!

What do you think?

Phil

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Phil, you know what they say about great minds… 🙂 We’re working on just that very thing right now. Actually, when I say we, I really mean CBW because he’s the one combing through all the posts now and compiling the list.

Hi Clay,
    Would it be possible to have some sort of “sticky” (whatever this software allows) that would be a list of links to some of the great work that has been done here… to make it easier for people to find?

I ask this because I have posted links to quite a few resources repeatedly, because lots of members apparently have never seen them. I realize that no one really has the time to go through every post on the boards, so consolidating these things in one place would be helpful. When I enter the forum I am directed to “Recent Topics” from there none of the really great stuff from the past is visible after a few weeks.

For example, I have posted links to the Unified grit chart, your wonderful progression photos and stropping photos, Tom’s progression blog posts and some of the great work that Ken has done, many times. Each time that I do, lots of folks react as though they have no previous information on them. I understand this because to even link them I have to spend quite a bit of time with your search engine and/or Google to find the links (that is IF I can remember the proper key words before I give up). Now this is just a sample based on a quick recall job, I am sure that there are lots more that I use many, many times and that would be valuable for everyone, if easily accessed.

I would be happy to work with you on this if you need me!

What do you think?

Phil

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Mahvelous…
    If you guys need any help… just let me know! I can do it!
    Is there a selection criteria for poor CBW to use?
    Maybe we could leave it open for a period of time for others to add things.
    Great minds work better in a group I think!
    I can’t come close to remembering specifically all of the invaluable threads that I have read here!

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’m just getting started on it in my spare time… feel free (anyone) to post anything you’d like to see and/or send me a private message! 🙂

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Clay and CBW,

I was also thinking of something similar. A Frequently Asked Forum Question list or so. Shall we share info? If you have any tips or info on this, or ideas on how we can cooperate, please let me know.

(A bit busy, but still mod 🙂 ).

Mark.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant

He Philip (and others),

Just thinking… this sounds like a Wiki. (Clay: a Wiki can be wider than a database of knife measurements. It can be about any subject, like Wikipedia 🙂 ). I have no clear ideas about this at the moment, but it seems like we’ve got some momentum going…

cbwx34
    Participant

Hey Mark, I sent you a PM… but I’ll just post it here.

I woke up thinking the same thing, a Wiki. I remembered this post..

A quick note for you guys – I’ve also started an actual knife WIKI on this site, much like the actual Wikipedia and would like to begin populating it. I’m hoping to get some help with writing articles on everything from steels, knife history and construction, edge geometry, blade designs, abrasives, heat treating, sharpening theories etc… essentially everything knife related. The address is here: http://wickededgeusa.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page.

Maybe something could be done with this… as a group effort?

Mark76
    Participant

There is a wiki! Hurray!

Maybe something could be done with this… as a group effort?

That was exactly my intention! A group effort. The way Wikipedia grew big.

I just took a look at it, but it looks like this Wiki cannot be edited. But maybe I’m reacting too soon. Any manuals or user ideas?

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351
    cbwx34
    Participant

Time to learn gentlemen!

That’s the truth!!

There’s also a help page here…

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents

Mark, it looks like it can be edited and/or added to… may just take some figurin’ out. 🙂

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Hey cbw, I have to ask, is this set at “no” by choice for you?

edited – Secret question answered below. 😉

cbwx34
    Participant

I might be afraid of my ______* knowing how much time I spend here. :sick: :whistle:

(*=insert: boss, spouse, therapist)

(I actually have a tendency to leave the window open whether I’m here or not, so it’s not really a good indicator of whether I’m actually on. “He’s here… why isn’t he answering me?”) 🙂

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I did an edit to this page. It will likely need to be moved, as Clay had a different idea for this page, but it can be done.

http://wickededgeusa.com/wiki/index.php?title=Knife_Sharpening_Recommendations_-_Wicked_Edge_Knife_Sharpener.

BTW CBW, those links are some that I think should be included in any sort of compilation of important historical data.

I tried for just a few minutes to figure out how to create a new page, but did not get there. There is something ccalled a community portal, maybe we can do something with that.

There is also a users guide and help applet available from the main page…once you get there. I am at work now so I can’t spend much time on it right now. I will take a closer look later.

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant

I don’t see anything in the link you posted… maybe it needs admin approval.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

http://wickededgeusa.com/wiki/index.php?title=Knife_Sharpening_Recommendations_-_Wicked_Edge_Knife_Sharpener

Try that.
    I followed my original link and nothing was there. I then selected “recent Changes” in the left panel under “Navigation”, and it brought me to a list of three items, all by me… as I edited the thing three times (now 4 times).
    Anyway, I got to my content that way.

Phil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.