Advanced Search

Frequently used threads STICKY

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Frequently used threads STICKY

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

This is brilliant. I love this idea. I was just curious how hard it would be to add to the page and it is actually a no brainer. I put in the links to the Youtube videos for the Chosera, so if you follow the link now it contains my contribution.

I suppose there is a potential for abuse by some to hijack or use the page for personal or non relevant info if not monitored or somehow controlled. But it seems like the beginning of a really great reference source.

Good luck with it, I will definitely be watching this one.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

http://wickededgeusa.com/wiki/index.php?title=Knife_Sharpening_Recommendations_-_Wicked_Edge_Knife_Sharpener

Try that.
    I followed my original link and nothing was there. I then selected “recent Changes” in the left panel under “Navigation”, and it brought me to a list of three items, all by me… as I edited the thing three times (now 4 times).
    Anyway, I got to my content that way.

Phil

Yup… I can see it now. (What actually messed it up in the previous link was the period at the end.)

Cool. This could be a nice community effort. For now, add whatever is appropriate… I’ll try and come up with a way of organizing it! :silly:

Thanks!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

At some point we need to figure out how to make a new page/topic/category. This particular one was origninally setup by Clay for sharpening recomendations. I guess what we are doing is sort of in that realm, but possibly we could make a specific page tied to “Hot Links” or “Must Read Topics” or something like that.

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant

Ok… that part I figured out. For example you can now find what has been posted here…

http://wickededgeusa.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wicked_Edge_New_User_Info

So, maybe use this link for now to add stuff… and I’ll think a bit on organization.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

At some point we need to figure out how to make a new page/topic/category.

That’s possibly the most important bit.

A WIKI normally has a page exclusively about one subject.
    Then a page for another etc.

So you probably need to work out an index, then build the pages?

Trouble with WIKI’s, they often get abandoned and outdated.
    They are a great way to give all the answers to one question with a single link though.

I have over 11,000 posts on a tech forum here in Aus, the WIKI doesn’t get a lot of use as there are always hundreds/thousands of people online who fight to answer questions first.
    No WEPS thread yet. 😉

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I really would like to find the several threads where Clay went through many different progressions using the diamonds and other stones and took photos at 520X so I could post the links to the WIKI. For some reason I am striking out with the search engine. If anyone can find them and post the links, I would appreciate it greatly.

Phil

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I really would like to find the several threads where Clay went through many different progressions using the diamonds and other stones and took photos at 520X so I could post the links to the WIKI. For some reason I am striking out with the search engine. If anyone can find them and post the links, I would appreciate it greatly.

Phil

I think this might be one of them: A Theory of How the Wicked Edge Pastes Work

and this might be another: Stock Stone/Strop Progression

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Thanks Clay!
    I have the first link out there already, but not the second.
    This is a good start.
    Anyone else think of some more?

Phil

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I added a buch of links today.
    Please take a look and see what you think.
    I am sure that there is much, much more that should be there and easily accessable for everyone.
    Something Scott said has made me think about the security aspect of this thing. As it is right now, anyone can add or delete anything. Whether it be by accident or not, anyone can now just wipe the page out. Maybe we should figure out how to make this read only at some point with limited write/delete access. I know that the concept of a WIKI is to allow everyone to update it, but it would be a real pain if it all was lost.

For now I have made a copy of what is there now and saved it to a Word document. If nothing else it probably would be good to setup some kind of regular backup for the content.

I would be happy to work on that as well, but I need input from Clay. After all he set this WIKI up with a goal in mind.

We still need input on content everyone!!

Phil

Ok… that part I figured out. For example you can now find what has been posted here…

So, maybe use this link for now to add stuff… and I’ll think a bit on organization.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

You guys are awesome 🙂 My goal for the Wiki is simple – to create a place where our community can build a resource that is a rich source of information on everything knife, and giving some of our best conversations a home there is a really good fit. I eventually want to have a big knife and sharpening glossary, a steel database and as many articles geared toward sharpening as we can manage. I definitely need a lot of help with organization and authorship. I agree about security and I’ll have to check with the webmaster about implementing it. I haven’t even figured out how to use the Wiki yet… Please keep at it and keep the conversation alive and I am confident that it will evolve to be a tremendous resource for us all and many others.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Thanks Chris!

I put the HHT link on the WIKI.
    The second one on the theory of how the strops work was already there.
    I appreciate it and would like to ask for everyone to dig deep, check your favorites or bookmarks for good, informative links and let us know. This WIKI is a group project for our group to share knowledge.
    The more input we get the better the outcome.

Keep them coming!

Phil

cbwx34
    Participant

Hey Phil… when you get a chance, check your “Private Messages”. Thanks!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I added a buch of links today.

We still need input on content everyone!!
    This is a bump for the thread…
    In case folks are thinking that I stuttered…
    Please check the link to the WIKI page and let us know what you think of what is there…
    Also. let us know of anything else that you think would be good to put up to the WIKI.

This may not be as much fun as pictures, brilliant tete-a-tete or pontification…and my real favorite…bitching (realy it is :)).
    But it is good for the community. Please pitch in!
    Please!

Thanks,

Phil

For example you can now find what has been posted here…

So, maybe use this link for now to add stuff….

[/quote]

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Thanks to all who contributed. I was not aware of this. I booked marked it. Is there a link anywhere on the forum or WE page?

More reading to do. I do like the idea of having 1 page of links.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.