Advanced Search

free standing clamp bottom hole damage

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Ginardi
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 5

Well I’m guessing this is normal, but I’ve had to clamp a few knives pretty tight to keep them from moving and I’ve noticed the bottom screw is eating into the free standing vice. E ought to make an indentation. Is this normal?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi ssg,

Welcome to the forum!

I have my WEPS for over two and a half years now and my vise also has a very small indentation. I guess it started already after a few knives… it is quite visible, since the black paint from the vise is removed.

But really, this is only cosmetic, it doesn’t affect the operation the slightest. There were people who found it annoying and come up with innovative solutions, like metal plates where the bottom screw touches the vise. And I think the latest version of the vise also comes with a piece of metal there. But it’s not necessary.

Just to be sure, when you clamp a knife, first fix the top screw and then the bottom one.

Have fun!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

It might dig in a bit, but like Mark said, doesn’t affect the sharpening. It’ll stop when the center of the screw makes contact. You can sand the screw smooth if you want, to stop this sooner.

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

Remove the screw from the vice and use the 100/200 diamond stone to debur/flatten the end of the screw.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.