Advanced Search

Forum issues (recent discussion of issues is moving here)

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Forum Usability Notes and Requests Forum issues (recent discussion of issues is moving here)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

In the interest of isolating the forum issues and discussion, I’m moving it to this dedicated thread.

• tcmeyer had a disappearing reply last night, to the spatchcocking thread
      • status: solved. This one was due to a ‘false positive’ spam filter by akismet
    • rapid editing of a topic or reply, after submitting it, can cause problems (blocked from re-saving it)
      • status: I have a working theory. I believe this one is due to an anti-spam measure that prevents rapid replies, per the image below. It implements a 10-second cooling off period, which is enough to block spambots from their rapid-fire postings, but also enough to be frustrating if you want to quickly edit something. So, I’m changing this setting to 1 second, and hope that will eliminate the problem.

2017-11-30_17-28-01

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks for making this a separate topic, Chris and your continued efforts.

Could you tell us a little more about Akismet? It’s an anti-spam filter for WordPress, but when I googled it, I couldn’t find how exactly it recognizes spam. In one of your replies in another topic you wrote (I think) that it also blocks messages that were posted multiple times in a short while, but as I wrote then, I was able to do this. In fact, I’ll try it now. See the next topics.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mark76
    Participant

Test.

Mark76
    Participant

Test.

Mark76
    Participant

Test.

Mark76
    Participant

That’s three exactly the same posts within a few seconds, simply by pressing the “Submit” button in quick suggestion.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Akismet is basically a big dictionary of words and phrases that have been reported as spam. For each new topic and reply, the text is actually routed through Akismet, where it’s checked for indications of spam. If it’s flagged as spam, Akismet automatically moves it into the spam folder in wordpress.

As for our forum, Akismet has been a disappointment. It’s been guilty of both false positives and false negatives, including missing a couple of true spam posts that a human would recognize a mile away.

Akismet may be more of the problem than just misses… It could be responsible for some of our other issues, like preventing edits.

As for the ability to rapidly post, I think that’s the setting I changed yesterday. But like I said, it’s still just a theory that it was the problem in blocking quick edits, so I’m still looking into that one.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

I’ve disabled akismet, and I want to see if that removes some of the issues we’ve noticed.

I checked the spam folder this morning and there was a legitimate reply from last night that had been flagged as spam. We just can’t continue to have that happen. And, I think our other anti-spam measures are proving (mostly) effective.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Chris, PMs are behaving differently.  When I click on the orange pop-up indicating I have a PM, it does open the PM but only a line or so of the message if available followed by…., with a large box for responding.  The rest of the PM is not available.  By trying other avenues, (top right of browser page, Forum then Private Message) to get into the PMs, I am able to read it but the PM windows is locked in place and I can’t scroll up or down.  The next time I tried it, it seemed to work better?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

Chris I just got a email notifying me that there is a new response on a thread I subscribe to.  I am able to read the email.  When I open the form to read the post and respond it is not there?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

This is the email I received:

Eric F wrote:
    @marcH I know I asked this in a PM, but maybe you could just answer here as it could be useful to others and its related.  I was playing around with all of this on a REALLY damaged knife and decided to try out the 50/80 stones.  I know in the past I had heard that you shouldn’t use edge leading strokes since it can break out diamonds from the substrate.  I know that you and the instructional videos show all sorts of strokes.  Does edge leading risk damaging the stones?  I noticed that after I used the 50 grit side for a bit that the overall tactile feel it had was different now that it had some use (i used edge leading).  It used to feel horrible to the touch, now it feels more like the un touched 80s.  Is that normal?  Are the stones ok?
    ———–
    You are receiving this email because you subscribed to a forum topic.
    Login and visit the topic to unsubscribe from these emails.
    It is not yet posted on the Forum? (5:37PM EST)

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Thanks Marc, I think we’ll need to ask Eric F if he’s publicly posted that reply yet.

Marc, because you’re a moderator, you may have received a notification about a draft post that hasn’t yet been published. If it’s not that, as the cause, I’ll keep looking. But I checked to make sure it’s not in spam, and we’re good there.

Marc H

ChrisB if Eric uses “@marcH” in the posting on the forum does that have any influence?  I think the “@” prefix may be a tweeter or facebook thing??? I’m not really sure what it’s for???  I’m socially inept!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

Eric says it was a draft?? that ended up getting submitted, I don’t see the submission, only the email notification of the draft??

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant

ChrisB if Eric uses “@marcH” in the posting on the forum does that have any influence? I think the “@” prefix may be a tweeter or facebook thing??? I’m not really sure what it’s for??? I’m socially inept!

I also got a post by mail that included @Mark76. On other forums that sometimes means you also get the post by mail or a notification by mail.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.