Advanced Search

FNG introduction – STONE UPDATE

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones FNG introduction – STONE UPDATE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Hendershott
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 9

UPDATE – Got the new stones today…Hassle Free! Kyle and the fellas at WEPS hooked me up. they look perfect. THANK!

after lusting for some time about WEPS i decided to bite the bullet and get one. finally arrived and started to go to work. already wanted to upgrade to the pro arms with the rod ends as i see the major need for these and the adjustability the provide. getting used to the setup and action required to achieve the results I’m looking for. i have unfortunately run out of knives and am looking towards my friends for dulls i can play with

one problem i have run into already of which I’m certainly displeased with. about 6 knives in my 1600 stone came off the platen. appears the hot glue didn’t like the stone all that much. i took notice to my other 1200/1600 stone and the 1600 is becoming “soft” in the platen as well.

granted I wasn’t too happy after spending the considerable amount of coin on this system. any ideas where to go to have this problem fixed? was / is this a common issue and something i need to be concerned about with WEPS stones?

another issue with the same stones, the 1600 stones themselves seem “streaky” and inherently not flat. after a number if knives all i have is some dark think black lines on the stone letting me to believe their are inconsistent ridges and not allowing a full flat contact on the blade itself.

other than that I’m pretty stoked with the kit and I’m sure ill be burning many hours playing with it

any help i would appreciate guy. thanks!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Shotty,
    I would imagine Clay will see your post and respond soon! If he happens to be gone for the weekend? On Monday call 877-616-9911 and they will take care of you right away. I have never not seen WE make it right!
    Can you post a pic of the streaking on the stone? Mine get black streaks running down them too. Is it possible you are not holding them flat against the edge? You know what they say a pic is worth a 1,000 words.

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Welcome aboard Shotty! B)

+1 on what Eamon said. Call Wicked Edge first thing on Monday, and I’m sure you will be extremely impressed with how they handle your loose stone issue.

Ryan Hendershott
    Participant

here are some pictures for you guys

if there is another portion of the forum these should posted with an appropriate topic let me know. i looked around and didn’t see a sub section that was for issues, broken stuff etc etc

as you can see on the stone itself, the high ridges where the black lines are would lead me to believe that those are the high points and the majority of the contact points on the stones. both are doing it and are the only stones (ceramics) that i have that are doing it. I will also add when running these on the blade they feel gritty and bumpy as i can feel certain points of the ceramics catch harder on the blade than other areas on the specific stone.

thanks guys!

John Haley
    Participant
    • Replies: 32

I have some minor streaking on my 1200/1600 ceramics, but not to the extent of yours.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Yeah you definetly have problem stones! See how good I’m getting? I can just pick right up on a broken stone! :huh: haha!
    Seriously though call Kyle Monday morning they will get you sorted out ASAP!!! :woohoo:

Ryan Hendershott
    Participant

ill be calling first thing monday for sure. thanks for the input fellas!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Shotty, welcome to the forum!

The black lines on the stones are pretty normal – they are sharpening residu and I have them on my ceramic stones as well.

But the broken stone and the one that fell off are clearly not normal. As others have remarked: give WE a call and I’m sure they’ll fix the problem.

Enjoy your WEPS!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

These are my second set. Used completely dry every time. I use the super eraser to clean them. My first pair I thought I done something wrong but now after my second I think it may just be the ceramics. What are the chances of getting two sets that did this? I will say WE has excellent customer service and will handle any problem you might have

Ryan Hendershott
    Participant

These are my second set. Used completely dry every time. I use the super eraser to clean them. My first pair I thought I done something wrong but now after my second I think it may just be the ceramics. What are the chances of getting two sets that did this? I will say WE has excellent customer service and will handle any problem you might have

it appears your ceramics are contacting your blades throughout the entire surface area, the lack of streaks makes me think this..

i notice your corners are cracked as well.. must be a common issue .. luckily the corners see little use, at least in my limited experience

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Yeah what’s needed and what’s nice to have are two different things. I still use mine.was just posting in solidarity . The streaks are most likely a kiln layer that comes off with use. Mine had mysterious lines on them at first too. You can also glue it back on if you need to use it asap
    Happy sharpening.

Ryan Hendershott
    Participant

Yeah what’s needed and what’s nice to have are two different things. I still use mine.was just posting in solidarity . The streaks are most likely a kiln layer that comes off with use. Mine had mysterious lines on them at first too. You can also glue it back on if you need to use it asap
    Happy sharpening.

i had thought about that, gluing it back on but wasn’t sure if they used some top secret high speed-low drag glue. didn’t want to make the situation worse. And frankly, I generally have no issues fixing or repairing stuff when needed but this much hunnits spent i would hope it wasn’t common required practice.

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Definitely a problem with the chipped corner there…. 😛

I’m with Dan – the streaking is not an issue, IMO – more just the surface texture of a new stone. That will “calm down” as the surface evens out – it shouldn’t effect the outcome of your sharpening now or in the future.

The chips in the middle of the stone could be related to “slapping” the paddles down against the blade as you are sharpening. I don’t think anyone at Wicked Edge will argue the situation here, and I am not implying anything – just an observation for regular use. I’m sure this will end well, though.

Ryan Hendershott
    Participant

I’m on tour all day and all night tomorrow so i won’t really have a chance to call Kyle so I have dispatched him an email with pics. hope to hear back. thanks for everyone for the input. i have added portions of this thread to a new thread in the ceramic stone section .. guessing thats where it should belong in the first place.

thanks again! i will post back the outcome for sure

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If you can relate the breakage to the possibility of having dropped the rod & block onto the base, I’d suggest running a strip of foam tape along the front and back edges. It made for a huge improvement for a couple of us.

I agree with those above who think the streaks are normal for ceramic stones, especially for new ones. More importantly, they shouldn’t make any difference in your results. Spyderco uses their triangle edges as a coarser grit step. When you graduate to using a microscope, you can decide for yourself if the results are correct. Maybe even a $10 loupe will help you decide.

The chipping and delaminating from the base block are clearly faulty products and also like the others, I’m sure that Clay will make that right.

Meanwhile, stay in touch with the forum. These guys know their shit and you’ll learn more than you dreamed of.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.