Advanced Search

Fish Filet Knife???

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

Hey everyone, I have been a WEPS owner for 3 years, sharpening knives @ farmers markets in northern NJ. I recently retired to the Jersey shore, and I am getting requests to sharpen filet knives. My equipment includes the Pro Pack Upgrade Kit. Here is my dilemma, most filet knives are very thin from spine to edge. Does any one have a suggestion to get the edge to seat higher in the clamps so the stones don’t brush the clamps. Thanks to anyone who can help..Bill PS: I am trying to maintain a 20 degree sharpening angle.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

You can usually clamp the blade much higher in the vise than the standard two-pin key location. You don’t need more than about an eighth of an inch of blade spine in the clamps. Make sure that the bottom of the right-side jaw is held out by at least the thickness of the blade before you tighten the top screw – maybe double that for thin blades. This will make sure that the clamp force is focused at the tip of the jaws.

If the blade flexes too much, do it in sections, focusing on the section held in the vise. If you pay attention and count your strokes, you can blend the sections together pretty well.

Eric Cleland
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 16

What angle do u use for fillet knife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.