Advanced Search

Favourite strategy for sharpening your EDC?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

What’s your favourite strategy for sharpening your EDC? I mean a pocket knife meant not for super heavy use, but for opening boxes, etc.

I’ve got a Spyderco Tenacious that gets dull pretty soon and I definitely don’t want a mirror edge on it. Clay recently wrote he finished such a knife at 400 grit and then stropped it.

What’s your favourite strategy for knives like that?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I can’t control myself… all my EDC’s of late are getting the 600/800/1000 & 6 micron treatment, depending on how dull they are.

That skip from 1000 to 6 micron diamond film really does work extremely well.  From two feet away, it looks like a mirror finish.  One of the advantages that hasn’t been mentioned is that the grits you skip can’t scratch you with contaminants.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

My approach w/ my current EDC (A ZT 0561) of late has been to: reprofile/do the heavy work on a belt sander to 13 dps or so, then microbevel on the Wicked Edge at 20. I am a HUGE fan of microbevels for 2 reasons… 1. they let you go lower than you otherwise would w/ the main edge grind (i.e. so you can go to say 10 dps which may not normally be a stable edge and add a microbevel at say 15 dps and it be perfect w/ no issues yet you have the cutting power there of a 10 dps edge), and 2. touch ups are EXTREMELY easy, just a couple of swipes on a honing rod (or sharpmaker) or diamond stones and you are back to hair popping sharp. You don’t have to spend all that time working the main edge like you normally would.

This is before I have reground my blade – which I’ve been meaning to for months but haven’t had time! The edge right now cuts pretty well but nothing compared to how it will. You can see the microbevel at the very apex… I set it to 600 grit, fresh off of the stones w/ no stropping normally. This edge will pop hairs off of my arm just by almost setting the blade down on my arm.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Big fan of the micro-bevel here also.  I need to try out going lower than 17 on my main bevel lol.  The last steel I had been playing with EDC had been ZDP..it no likey 17DPS..chips out on staples rather than dulling.  with a 22dps microbevel on there it worked well..but does not stay hair popping for long at all.  Currently I am trying out CTS-XHP.  Still playing with the straight 17dps..that is my go to angle to start with to see how the steel will react with my usage.  Then adapt a micro bevel after that.  So far, the CTS-XHP is not chipping so I should be able to go lower on the main grind.  I will take that lower until I notice a slightly unstable edge, then throw on a microbevel by adding 5 dps to the main grind.  Been a while, not used to the new diggs here yet.  lol.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

New diggs?  Have you moved to a higher elevation?  It’s good to see you visiting once again!

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

New diggs? Have you moved to a higher elevation? It’s good to see you visiting once again!

The new website here is what I meant by new diggs 

Thanks Tom!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.