Advanced Search

Even NuBees Can Do It!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Even NuBees Can Do It!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Believe me, I’m not posting this to toot my horn, but rather to show those starting out, like me, can get good results from WE, with a little effort and practice. If I can do it, with my limited abilities, then anyone can.   I’ve had the WE for a few weeks now, but thru asking a ton of questions and bugging all the regulars here on the forum, I’ve been able to achieve hair whittling, mirror edges.  Now, are they perfect mirror edges with no scratches…no…not yet.  My goal was to get to sharp first, then worry about how it looks and I think I may be close. Consistency is my next goal.  Thanks WE and thanks for all the help here on the forum.

Here’s my latest edge.  It’s on a cheapie chef knife from Walmart and yes, it is hair whittling sharp.

IMG_2344-1

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That looks good! What progression did you end up using?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Thanks very much!  Bevel angle is 20*/side.  I used 400 up to 1K, then 1500 diamond, 9>3 diamond films, then 5 and 3.5 leather strops.  I didn’t reduce the angle any for stropping, however I did use very light alternating strokes.  It’s interesting that I can’t  whittle hair easily, until I start stropping.  That’s when I find that the more I strop, the easier the hair will split.  Is that usually the case?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by NorCalQ.
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant

I have the same experience. I don’t know enough to say for certain whether or not that is normal.

Strops do a lot to bring an edge to its fullest potential.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

NorCalQ, I want to point out to you that your results shown in the picture exemplify how truly polished and mirror appearing a bevel can be attained with a relatively basic progression and not a terrible amount of effort once you learn your technique and put it to practice.  I truly believe excellent results are mostly about: good technique, time, effort and attention to detail. Excellent job.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Thanks so much!  You’re one who’s help has allowed this.  Thanks for sticking me.  I’ve got a long way to go, but at least I can already see some results.

Organic
    Participant

You should add your photo to the Super Polished Edges thread.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

I’ll check it out, thanks.  Remember though, that my edge is only polished to the naked eye and has plenty of scratches in it.  I would hesitate putting in the category of a truly cleanly polished bevel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.