Advanced Search

Edge autodegradion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

If I make the knife as sharp as I can and then place it to show-case, it seems to me that after several weeks or months is somewhat less sharper? Is it real, or is it just my OCD? 🙂

Samuel Gabriel
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

No, that’s true. Steel, even stainless, oxidises and degrades over time. This effect is more noticeable the thinner it is. If you were to look at a freshly sharpened blade vs a several week old sharpened blade under an electron microscope you can actually see the degradation in the form of little lumpy growths on the very blade edge. I’ve seen it.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Even more so on a carbon steels like Super Blue (one of my personal favorites) Even days after finishing an edge I can tell it isn’t quite what it was. Still plenty sharp but not that screaming edge we all so love. Not really a big issue as these are my favorite knives to throw on the WEPS, but something to be aware of if you’re thinking of sharpening knives as something you do infrequently (not anyone hanging out here, I realize, but we all know people who don’t 😉 )

Ken

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.