Advanced Search

DMT 3 micron stone

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements DMT 3 micron stone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

we’ll be carrying the DMT 3 micron stones soon

Really? As Wicked Edge stones on paddles? With the same thickness as the other stock stones? That’d be awesome! I’ll order them the same day they are put on sale…[/quote]

We should have them in a couple of weeks. I have a couple combos in mind:

1. DMT 3 Micron / Micro-Fine Fine
    2. DMT 3 Micron / Glass Blank with (also soon to be available) diamond PSA films. This combo is tremendous for ceramic blades.

I’d love to hear suggestions for other configurations.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

2. DMT 3 Micron / Glass Blank with (also soon to be available) diamond PSA films. This combo is tremendous for ceramic blades.

I’d go for the first option. The micro-fine fine stones are simply the next stones in the progression. (Although you could also choose for the 1600 ceramic stones to somewhat wipe out scratches from the more agressive diamonds.)

Obviously you can use PSA film for that purpose as well, but I feel it’s a rather specialized area: most people don’t use PSA film. And if you use PSA film, you will probably use multiple grits. If I were you, I’d offer glass blank paddles separately for people who want to use PSA film.

I was also thinking a (Chosera) water stone for the other side, but similarly, not everybody uses waterstones. And they don’t fit in the philosophy of at least all the stock stones having the same thickness.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Nice shots, Clay.

Like Mark, I’d say the micro fine fine, for the same reasons. Though, honestly I’d love to see something new, rather than duplicate my MFF. Does Atoma, or anyone else make a yet finer diamond? Or perhaps some new ceramic?

I have a set of glass for PSAs and frankly, they are more of a pain than they are worth for normal every day use, I’m sorry to say.

Ken

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’d go for the first option. The micro-fine fine stones are simply the next stones in the progression. (Although you could also choose for the 1600 ceramic stones to somewhat wipe out scratches from the more agressive diamonds.)

Obviously you can use PSA film for that purpose as well, but I feel it’s a rather specialized area: most people don’t use PSA film. And if you use PSA film, you will probably use multiple grits. If I were you, I’d offer glass blank paddles separately for people who want to use PSA film.

I was also thinking a (Chosera) water stone for the other side, but similarly, not everybody uses waterstones. And they don’t fit in the philosophy of at least all the stock stones having the same thickness.

I think having a “Ceramic Knife Sharpening Pack” with the 800/1000 stones and then the 3mu/glass blanks w/ diamond films will be really helpful for anyone wanting to sharpen ceramic knives. It may be helpful for all the professional sharpeners out there because they can expand their range to include ceramic knives. I’ve been able to get results similar to Tom’s where the ceramic blades easily and comfortably shave.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I think having a “Ceramic Knife Sharpening Pack” with the 800/1000 stones and then the 3mu/glass blanks w/ diamond films will be really helpful for anyone wanting to sharpen ceramic knives. It may be helpful for all the professional sharpeners out there because they can expand their range to include ceramic knives. I’ve been able to get results similar to Tom’s where the ceramic blades easily and comfortably shave.

Sure. It would be more helpful than helpful for people who want to sharpen ceramic knives. But how many ceramic knives are there compared to steel ones? Let alone people who want to sharpen ceramic knives.

IMHO it would be a pity if the 3 mu DMT stone would only be available in a ceramic knife sharpening pack, i.e. with blank plates for PSA tape.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

Sure. It would be more helpful than helpful for people who want to sharpen ceramic knives. But how many ceramic knives are there compared to steel ones? Let alone people who want to sharpen ceramic knives.

IMHO it would be a pity if the 3 mu DMT stone would only be available in a ceramic knife sharpening pack, i.e. with blank plates for PSA tape.

Right! I am not planning on making that the only configuration, rather one of several.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

‘scope Clay is back!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Great pics.

What about a DMT/Leather combo?

I often use just one leather at the end for a quick strop, plus it would be a nice combo with less chance of cross contamination.

wickededge
    Keymaster

‘scope Clay is back!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Great pics.

Thanks!

What about a DMT/Leather combo?

I often use just one leather at the end for a quick strop, plus it would be a nice combo with less chance of cross contamination.

That’s a nice idea as well. I wonder if we could come up with an attribute style option where you select the 3um stone on one side and then whatever other stone on the other. Could be interesting… For that matter, maybe the ability to pair any stone and/or strop combo. I wonder if it’s doable within the framework of the site. Could get complicated from a bookkeeping standpoint. What SKU would we enter. Never mind Curtis – you just short circuited me! :silly:

-Clay

Matt Cole
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 15

Wow, quite a wormhole this question wandered into. Interesting.

I really like the idea of offering custom combinations of stones on paddles.

And to Clay, as far as ordering off of the website, I think it would be great if we could order replacement parts right off the site. Especially the 2 halves of the vise. I’ve over tightened and bent the tips more than once trying to get a bite on a double edged blade. Still haven’t had much success with that.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Wow, quite a wormhole this question wandered into. Interesting.

I really like the idea of offering custom combinations of stones on paddles.

And to Clay, as far as ordering off of the website, I think it would be great if we could order replacement parts right off the site. Especially the 2 halves of the vise. I’ve over tightened and bent the tips more than once trying to get a bite on a double edged blade. Still haven’t had much success with that.

You’re right, we probably need to separate it into a couple threads.

-Clay

Matt Cole
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be difficult to keep from contaminating a strop if you have a diamond plate on the other side? Even if it is very fine.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Wouldn’t it be difficult to keep from contaminating a strop if you have a diamond plate on the other side? Even if it is very fine.

Not if you have the new strop covers that are coming out. 🙂

-Clay

Matt Cole
    Participant

That is a great idea.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

You’re right, we probably need to separate it into a couple threads.

That would make good sense!
    😛

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Don’t panic,,, I gotta lock this thread for a minute to move the posts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.