Advanced Search

DMT 3 micron stone

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements DMT 3 micron stone

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Clay,
    Are you also going to stock the real diamond PSA films? I have used a bunch of the non-diamond 3M films in the past. They work fine, but overall I am not impressed with them. This is mainly because they don’t last very long. The diamond films, purportedly, last much longer.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Clay,
    Are you also going to stock the real diamond PSA films? I have used a bunch of the non-diamond 3M films in the past. They work fine, but overall I am not impressed with them. This is mainly because they don’t last very long. The diamond films, purportedly, last much longer.

I found some good diamond PSA films that I can get directly from 3M. I’ve been pleased with the samples.

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

we’ll be carrying the DMT 3 micron stones soon

Really? As Wicked Edge stones on paddles? With the same thickness as the other stock stones? That’d be awesome! I’ll order them the same day they are put on sale…[/quote]

We should have them in a couple of weeks. I have a couple combos in mind:

1. DMT 3 Micron / Micro-Fine Fine
    2. DMT 3 Micron / Glass Blank with (also soon to be available) diamond PSA films. This combo is tremendous for ceramic blades.

I’d love to hear suggestions for other configurations.[/quote]

I’m sorry for being so slow on the uptake, but is option #1 the 1200/1600 diamonds that were talked about a couple weeks ago? If so do we order now?

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I found some good diamond PSA films that I can get directly from 3M. I’ve been pleased with the samples.

Does that mean that you are at least seriously considering having some for resale?

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Yes I’d like to know as well if first option would be similar or equivalent to 1200/1600 diamond plates?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Does that mean that you are at least seriously considering having some for resale?[/quote]

Yes, I’d like to offer them. I think they have their place for sure in the scheme of things and provide a good way to keep bevels very flat down to a very fine grit.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Yes I’d like to know as well if first option would be similar or equivalent to 1200/1600 diamond plates?

The 3 micron diamond plate would be similar in grit to the 1600 ceramics but works in a very different way. The Micro-Fine fine stone is much finer, especially if lapped. The combo should be a great finishing and maintaining step.

-Clay

Johpe
    Participant

The 3 micron diamond plate would be similar in grit to the 1600 ceramics but works in a very different way. The Micro-Fine fine stone is much finer, especially if lapped. The combo should be a great finishing and maintaining step.

Ah ok, so the Micro-Fine fine that you refer to is that the same ceramic stone as the one on the MicroFine ceramic paddle that you already offer?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Ah ok, so the Micro-Fine fine that you refer to is that the same ceramic stone as the one on the MicroFine ceramic paddle that you already offer?

Yes. I’m just thinking of a new combination for the fine stone w/ the 3um diamonds as a very fast, effective finishing tool for everyday type edges.

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

The 3 micron diamond plate would be similar in grit to the 1600 ceramics but works in a very different way. The Micro-Fine fine stone is much finer, especially if lapped. [/quote]

Clay I’m back to confused? Lapp a diamond plate? Can you please just give me a very brief explanation?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

The Micro-fine fine stone is a ceramic stone… that’s the one he’s talking about lapping.

Johpe
    Participant

Yes. I’m just thinking of a new combination for the fine stone w/ the 3um diamonds as a very fast, effective finishing tool for everyday type edges.[/quote]

II definitely like the idea but since I already have the microfine paddle my wishful thinking would be a diamond paddle (with both coarse and fine sides) that would fit right in after the current 800/1000 diamonds (because that’s where I have the biggest problem getting the scratches away). (maybe it’s just me that needs more time/practice with the superfine and microfine ceramics….)

wickededge
    Keymaster

I definitely like the idea but since I already have the microfine paddle my wishful thinking would be a diamond paddle (with both coarse and fine sides) that would fit right in after the current 800/1000 diamonds (because that’s where I have the biggest problem getting the scratches away). (maybe it’s just me that needs more time/practice with the superfine and microfine ceramics….)

That issue will probably go away on its own as your stones are broken in, especially your 400/600 and 800/1000 stones.

-Clay

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Yes. I’m just thinking of a new combination for the fine stone w/ the 3um diamonds as a very fast, effective finishing tool for everyday type edges.[/quote]

Clay, Just curious if any progress was made with the new stone combo? I guess I’m kinda excited to see the new combo and what you decided on, if anything yet? :unsure:

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, Just curious if any progress was made with the new stone combo? I guess I’m kinda excited to see the new combo and what you decided on, if anything yet? :unsure:[/quote]

The new 3 micron stones should be shipping to us today or tomorrow. Once we have them in I’ll do some sharpening progressions and see how the combo works. I’m thinking it will be great.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.