Advanced Search

Diamond Paste Build UP???

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Diamond Paste Build UP???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Ok, so when I get to stropping, after I’ve reduced the angle by 1 degree, I seem to get a build up of paste on the bevel.  My initial thought was to increase the angle to be rubbing the bevel enough to rub off the paste, thereby being in contact with the entire bevel.  That said, I must be wrong, cuz I’m a Nubee.  Please set me straight, please.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The answer is that it is a matter of personal preference. I prefer to reduce the angle by 1.5 degrees per side so that the leather just barely hits the apex. Increasing the angle will give you a convexed apex which will probably feel a little less sharp but might have good edge retention. The paste will flake off, but most of the diamonds should still be on the leather because they will have worked their way into the leather.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I prefer to allow the applied stropping compound to dry into the leather overnight before I use the strops at 1 1/2 to 2 degree lower, more acute, angle then the sharpened angle.  Some compound will be left on the steel.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

OK…thanks.  I thought maybe I was going over the edge and the compound was scraping off the leather.  If it’s typical for the build up to happen when you’re doing it right, then that’s cool.

Marc H

Clay recommends you spritz the leather strops with rubbing alcohol when using them.  Give this a try.  Maybe it’ll give you results more in line with your expectations.  They’re is really nothing you can do that is wrong.  Each of us have personalized our techniques and use a method that we like the results.  It may differ from what I do.  It’s a personalized thing to do what you like best.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Strops are very pressure sensitive. The amount of pressure applied is highly user dependent, so each user has to experiment with angle adjustments and pressure to figure out what combination works for that person.

Marc H

A lighted magnified helper like a loupe or USB microscope helps you see the results of your efforts to determine the results you’re working towards.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

NorCalQ
    Participant

What is the preferred USB Microscope?

Marc H

Again that’s a personal thing.  My preferred unit is this inexpensive model .  

It does everything I need it to do.  It takes some practice to figure out how to use the scope to your advantage.  I use it hand held with a laptop on a resolution setting of 600 X 800, on high power.  There are lots of models with better features.  I use it strictly for inspection to see my sharpening progress.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.