Advanced Search

Dental Scissors

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Dental Scissors

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Raul Hernandez
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Hello, first post here, but have been lurking for a while and have read great advice and tips for a newbie when it comes to sharpening on a Wicked Edge.

I have a question. The Dentist my wife works for found out i have a Wicked Edge and asked her to bring home dental scissors for me to sharpen. I dont have the scissor attachment but was wondering if this angle of scissor would even work on it. Only way i know how to even find the angle is using the sharpie-on-edge-of-a-knife-trick. Would that work on the scissors? I have the Tormek small small knife jig, was thinking of putting the scissors in there until i got the angle right (till I purchase the scissor attachment).

Here are a few pics, hopefully you can see what I mean by the angle being “weird” to me, as in it looks “too steep” to me. Again, a newbie so my apologies if I am not using the proper knife terminology you geeks are used to. Thank you for your time.

A3161237-F7FB-4D12-AD1F-D89749A3CBC6
    E5C5B004-693E-439A-B7B8-F4F56F9A7588

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum Raul.   Scissors because of the variety of sizes, styles, and shapes can present a sharpening challenge for any method or kind of sharpener.  That small curved scissor set you’re showing I don’t think lends itself to sharpening with the W.E. even using the optional scissor adapter or with the accessory curved stone set W.E. offers at their website store.

I did a quick Google search and overview.  There is quite a bit of good information there and in YouTube videos.   I believe you’ll be able to take something helpful from some of these sources and put it together to help you with the undertaking.

I believe a “Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker” may be one kind of hand sharpeners that may be helpful for sharpening these scissors.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

That first photo (looking directly into the joint) looks to me like there is a slotted-head screw holding the two sides together.  It may be possible to take the scissors apart and mount the sides one at a time in the WE vise ( is it thicker than 1/4″? and would the angle work?) or in the scissor adapter for normal sharpening.

I can’t tell from the photos, but it looks as though one side has a steep bevel (maybe 80 deg?) while the opposite side has a 90 deg. bevel.  I’ve done several scissors with similar grinds on my scissors adapter.  Where the angle is steep (near 90), I’ve reversed the scissors in the clamp to get a more favorable angle of attack.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.