Advanced Search

Custom cut water stones… discussion

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Custom cut water stones… discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Thanks! I cut the stones myself. Im thinking that if I find a good combo of oil stones that work well then ill cut some for others because I know there’s folks out there that only use these or just want to try something different. If fact the first knife I sharpened as a scout was on an oil stone.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks! I cut the stones myself.

I’m really curious how you did that.

Im thinking that if I find a good combo of oil stones that work well then ill cut some for others because I know there’s folks out there that only use these or just want to try something different.

Well, I’m pretty impressed by the results you showed us of the oil stones, compared to the diamond stones. If the oil stones cut at the same rate as the diamond stones… (do they?)

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

I cut the stones myself..

I’m really curious how you did that.
    -with a wicked edge sharpened knife of coarse haha

My diamond stones are highly worn in. So far id say the coarse can replace the 80-200, medium replace the 400-800 and fine 1000-1600. I haven’t really used much yet, only on two play around knives. Shallow scratches for sure

Peter Lai
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

The photos are no longer attached. Would someone be able to post photos of Arkansas oil stones attached to the WE paddles? I love to see them in action.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Dan, if you have any tips about cutting the stones let me know… I was thinking about a water jet service?

I just ordered the Sigma Power 120… looking forward to getting it mounted on my Wicked Edge paddles!

Commentary here and here

Arne Biermans
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

I’m pretty sure you can cut the stones with a diamond coated cut off wheel. They are also used for ceramics.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

I used a 3/4 hp wet/tile saw equipped with a 7″ diamond blade to cut 3 Wusthof stones… I’d say It did a decent job considering I picked it up for only $20 at a pawn shop.

Josh
    Participant

Awesome guys! Thanks! yeah that’s what i’m hearing is that i can use a tile saw w/ a diamond blade… my brother’s friend has one so I thin that is the route I will go when it comes in.

Josh
    Participant

Check it out! All cut and mounted! Looking forward to using these…

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Very very nice, Josh! How difficult was it to cut them ? And are they consistently thick?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant

Very very nice, Josh! How difficult was it to cut them ? And are they consistently thick?

Super easy w/ a tile cutter =) I aimed for about 1/4″ thick on the stone thickness… one pair is significantly thinner than that though lol.

Josh
    Participant

Here’s the latest on my SP 120’s….

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Hi Josh:

Some questions I think viewers might have:

1. That seems like a lot of dishing for having done only one knife. How long does it take you to lap them back into flatness?

2. How many knives do you think you’d get for each pair ?

3. How many pairs do you think you’d be able to cut from one of the sigma 120’s?

4. Why do I see daylight between the top edges of the stones?

5. Did you use a blank set of blocks from WE or the blocks with the aluminum platens?

6. How is the stone attached to the aluminum backing plate? The tape recommended by WE or adhesive? Something else?

And for me:

Do you only use the AngleCube for stone changes? Why aren’t you using the SWAT’s? Seems like a perfect application for them.

Josh
    Participant

Great questions Tom, thanks!

1. That seems like a lot of dishing for having done only one knife. How long does it take you to lap them back into flatness? Takes about 30 seconds on each stone. i use SiC 120 grit on glass w/ a little water.

2. How many knives do you think you’d get for each pair ? Not many at this rate… That’s why I am going to have to find another option or stick w/ the stock 100 diamonds.

3. How many pairs do you think you’d be able to cut from one of the sigma 120’s? I cut 3 pairs. The Sigma Power 120 costs around $25 including the shipping, so this isn’t a bad price, but at the rate they dish, it is.

4. Why do I see daylight between the top edges of the stones? I think there may have been some contamination there or something, like a piece of grit. I will have to check them later to be sure what it is.

5. Did you use a blank set of blocks from WE or the blocks with the aluminum platens? I bought my own aluminum flat stock from Lowes, cut it up, and lapped that before ever attaching these stones to the aluminum. After they were attached to the aluminum backing they were applied to the paddles w/ some 3m double sided tape that I got from Bob Nash.

6. How is the stone attached to the aluminum backing plate? The tape recommended by WE or adhesive? Something else? I am using what I use on knife handles… G-Flex epoxy.

And for me:

Do you only use the AngleCube for stone changes? Why aren’t you using the SWAT’s? Seems like a perfect application for them.

I only use the Angle cube for initially setting up the angle. After that I know all the angle changes to make automatically when going from stock diamonds, to choseras, to strops. For instance, when using the stock diamonds I have to go 2 dps wider of an angle (on the base bar) when going to the choseras to match the bevel almost perfectly. Then the 800 grit choseras will finish cleaning up the edge to a perfect apex. when i go to strops I know that I have to go 4 dps (on the base bar) less than the choseras if I want a true 2 dps less of an angle than what i had been at.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

To Josh:
    Thanks for the quick reply. Understood clearly, but now I’m curious… Why did you use epoxy to attach the aluminum to the block? Why not the same tape? I was thinking that you put the stone on the aluminum so you could pry the aluminum off of the block without breaking the stone.

Speaking of knife handles… I’ve got a couple of kits laying around and I bought some D2, some rosewood and some Dymondwood. I’m going to ressurect some old skills. What are you using for handle material? For that matter, what are you using for blades?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.