Advanced Search

Convex Wicked Edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Convex Wicked Edge

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gary79852
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 1

If I could pick three things about all jig knife sharpening systems that could be better, in no particular order, it’s clamps that don’t work properly on all knives, straight bevel apexs that dull too quickly compared to the stronger, longer lasting, sharper convex edges, and the overall rigamarole of setting up a sharpening jig. I’ve been pondering the vice of Wicked Edge models for years. I likewise have also wished I could get a nice automaticly done perfect angle convex edge that would last longer between sharpenings.  I have discovered a simple way to do any knife, any length blade, at any angle, and this works on every Wicked Edge kit ever sold, at a cost of roughly $125.  It’s a simple matter of needing two of these bench vices.  Ill do a video and post a link to it. A heads up, you do not use the vice pictured to hold a knife in any way. Quite the opposite. Some people are really going to like this.

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve been Wicked Edging for about 12 years and I have both the Pro with the Gen 3 vise as well as an older setup with the Gen 1 vise and I’ve found solutions for every knife I’ve been asked to sharpen, from itty-bitty little pen knives to 12″ jerky knives to an Alaskan Ulu.  Some have required the assemblage of some gadgetry, but I’ve never letched over a competing system.

A caveat:  I’ve never been presented with a diamond-profile dagger, so there’s that.  Like the dagger, those knives without flats are the most problematic but most of these can be made workable with some tape and leather padding.

Convex edges are easily done on the Wicked Edge.  Finish the apex as you would with any other knife and then reduce the angles in one degree increments, taking just a few strokes with the higher grits at each step.  The facets will blend together and produce a fine convex profile.   If you finished the apex at 1500 grit, then do three stroke each in 800, 1000 and 1500 for each angle increment.

I do not buy into the idea that convex edges are stronger.  They clearly perform better, but the fact remains that there is less steel backing up the edge.  I don’t see an argument that would account for greater strength.  How does removing steel add strength?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.