Advanced Search

Convex Touch-Up…Feedback Welcome

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

Okay I’m still fairly new at the WEPS…I’ve successfully sharpened everything I own that is V edge. I’m now venturing into my Convex knives with fear and trepidation. I’ve searched everywhere for some guidance on how to tune-up or touch-up a convex but to no avail.

Yea, I’ve seen the videos on how to create a convex but nothing on how to touch-up. So, I took a shot at it! I took a BRKT Highland Special and set it at B, Bottom. Then reduced the angle on the slide to 16 degrees (just a guess) and used both the 5 and .35 micron strops.

I should have probably used a Sharpie but didn’t know if I could do that with the strops????

The Highland Special had a couple flat spots on the edge (well that is what it looks like in the sunlight) I surmise they’re technically places where the edge has rolled over??? Anyway I was able to restore those flat spots up by at least 90% from where I started. They’re both still there but substantially better than when I started. I was able to do a before and after on some dense pitch wood and I believe it is much better.

Any criticism or opportunities for improvement on what I could have done more of, less of, started doing or stop doing is GREATLY appreciated.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.