Advanced Search

confused

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping confused

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

i read or heard somewhere last week maybe here, but someplace it was mentioned about stropping and what degree they used……… :huh: :unsure: :unsure:

i have been using 2 degrees less than sharpened………

now i hear 2 degrees higher………..

please clear that up for me.

and when using the ceramic paddles after the diamonds, do u change the degrees…………i have not nor do i.
    please advise on that as well

thanks
    max

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Leather strops, the consensus is two degrees less than the bevel. Balsa strops, it’s 0.5 degrees less than the bevel. With diamond film on glass or aluminum platens, stay with the same bevel angle.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Forgive me, I like to understand the theory; Why do you lower the strop angle by 2dps with the leather strops? What does it accomplish?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Forgive me, I like to understand the theory; Why do you lower the strop angle by 2dps with the leather strops? What does it accomplish?

Good question. The leather is pliable and if you strop at the same angle you’ve sharpened at, the leather can roll over the top of the edge, making it rounder and wider. If you lower the angle for stropping, that doesn’t happen.

-Clay

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

thanks for the comments

see ya tomorrow

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Aww crap.. I was doing it backwards..I was going “out” by 2 deg..which would be adding 2 deg rather than subtracting 2 deg..Whoopsiedoodle.

Just got my balsa paddles.. Will be fun to try them and see how they “feel” compared to the leather during use. (Will also be neat to see how much better my edges feel after going in the correct direction) makes sense now that I think about it.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Aww crap.. I was doing it backwards..I was going “out” by 2 deg..which would be adding 2 deg rather than subtracting 2 deg..Whoopsiedoodle.

That’s a really nice opportunity to use your WEPS again. :cheer:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

lol. I guess that is true right there.. Nice thing about having this WEPS is I am not afraid to use my knife for about anything now since it is so quick and easy to get it right back to wicked sharp!

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

For leather I use 2 dps less . It depends on how much pressure you use. I use a lot, don’t know how to quantify this, other than to say sometime I lift the base up. I check with the sharpie some (not every knife). FYI – if you go too acute and the blade is coated you will take off some coating. I have done this. After sharpening with the WEPS I have a sharp, clean edge where the coating meets the bevel. After stropping I the coated edge is “softer”. If you look close I can see this affect on satin blades too. But definitely worse to roll over the edge than strop a little coating off.

I have also made the same mistake of going 2 dps greater.

I also made another mistake of sharpening a knife at 15 dps and not having enough adjustment later to strop at 13 dps. So now before i start I also check how much travel I have to left to make sure I can strop at 2 dps later.

Mark76
    Participant

Maybe you should consider getting the low angle adapter, Geo. It really works to get such acute angles. Nowadays I don’t sharpen my Japanese kitchen knives anymore without this adapter.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Good question. The leather is pliable and if you strop at the same angle you’ve sharpened at, the leather can roll over the top of the edge, making it rounder and wider. If you lower the angle for stropping, that doesn’t happen.[/quote]

Glad to have you back from your trip! I was out for a week or two myself and am just now getting back into the swing of things 🙂

If you have time, I would really love to see you post a thread on this topic with 1600x photos depicting what we are discussing. However, I understand you are very busy…. just whenever you have time it would be cool to see IMHO.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Glad to have you back from your trip! I was out for a week or two myself and am just now getting back into the swing of things 🙂

If you have time, I would really love to see you post a thread on this topic with 1600x photos depicting what we are discussing. However, I understand you are very busy…. just whenever you have time it would be cool to see IMHO.

Thanks Josh, it was a great trip. I think we did something on this topic a year or two ago, I’ll see if I can dig up any micro-photos. If not, I’d be happy to do them again; it’s always fun 🙂

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Thanks Josh, it was a great trip. I think we did something on this topic a year or two ago, I’ll see if I can dig up any micro-photos. If not, I’d be happy to do them again; it’s always fun :)[/quote]

Thanks Clay! yeah I remember you doing a light study on it but it was with your old microscope I think and we didn’t go very in depth. I can’t find it either I don’t believe without a ton of digging… i’ve tried =)

wickededge
    Keymaster

I can’t easily find the photos so I’ll do some again. I remember the conversation and that Curtis was involved…. Ah well, more to test and study! 🙂

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

I can’t easily find the photos so I’ll do some again.

It’s another topic, but I think we have a nice business case here for an improved search function on the new forum 😉 .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.