Advanced Search

Clamping tapered blades

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

What do you all do to firmly clamp a blade that is tapered from heel to tip on the spine?  The heel end is clamped but the knife wants to pivot on that point.

TIA

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

I generally use card stock, which is paper as thick as a greeting card, to protect the blade.  If the blade pivots on the rear, then I add a piece of card stock to both sides of the front of the mount.  One layer usually does the trick.  I’m sure others here have more elegant solutions as well.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

One solution, suggested by Clay (owner of Wicked Edge) is to use moleskin on the vise jaws. I ordered this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Roll-of-2-x-5-yd-Andover-Moleskin-Adhesive-Felt-Tape/321060604337?epid=0&hash=item4ac0b409b1:g:iLsAAMXQE31Rml6F

Another suggestion from MarcH is to use a small piece of chamois. I have the chamois bud didn’t have a need to use it.

If need be, you could use those adhesive felt pads usually used on furniture legs but to me they seem to be a bit on the thick side.

Toxophilus
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

I find for distal tapered blades like my Spydercos, I actually upgraded to the Gen 3 vice/jaws which really help out with holding those types of blades secure. The Gen 3 vice has a tension lever so if you’re working with thinner stock you can adjust easily.

Upgrading to me was worth it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.